Uv Blocking Finish

mpeg2

I'm about to embark on a new build - a solidbody made from Padauk. This wood changes color with exposure to sunlight (UV), going from an orange-red to a darker brown. I usually use Tru Oil for finishing, which does little to block UV.

Can anyone recommend something that will block the UV to allow the body color to remain constant?? Preferably, it would be something that could be applied and then Tru Oil used for the final finish...

Thanks,

Rich

the only finishes that i know of that include uv protectant are those made specifically for outdoor decks. you might look into some of the marine finishes. they could have some additive for uv.

edited to say: damn, i'm getting smart in my old age..check out this link. :D

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/how_to/varnish/varnish_08.asp

spar varnish is really uv protectant and fairly hard stuff. I think that is one of the marine finishes that unclej is referring to. I've used Minwax spray can spar varnish on one neck and it was ok, it dried really fast and was easy to recoat, but it did yellow out the maple neck I put it on. So you may want to try on scrap first. Good Luck!

Nate Robinson