Metal Templates?

I've been thinking recently about using metal templates. Can anyone see a problem with this?

I can imagine that wear on things like router bits would be greater, but I think that the extra wear would be minmal as I don't them very often. Also I have fairly cheap bits at the minute so I'm not that worried about a bit of extra wear.

Currently I've pretty much finished the CAD plans of a National Resonator so that it can be laser cut. I figure that I can get any guitar shape cut out of a bit of thicker metal and use that as a template. I think that this would be a big advantage when it comes to symetrical guitar shapes like the LP DC as there wouldn't be a need to flip over the template, therefore another possible error has been eliminated.

Anyway, any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

Kaj

I guess I am old school but my bits never touch my templates. I use routing collars around the base of the router instead of bearings. Hence, most of my templates are 10 ga. to 3/16" steel or aluminum or phenolic. If, for some reason, you need the shank of the bit to rub on the template, stay away from phenolic! OHHH, the smell!

Or you could use pattern bits with a guide bearing. That is what I use most of the time. The collars also work very well.

I have used aluminum templates. The best parts about aluminum is that you can route it from your old templates (if you have them). Often I will use 1/4" MDF to fabricate a template for my templates. This way I can change the shape easily. This can be attached to a piece of aluminum, cut close to size and finished up with a router pass. Works great.

You probably already know this but I'll say it anyway. Don't try this with steel. Your bit will shatter and you might get hurt.

~David

I never even gave a thought to routing steel. What a horrible thought! I build hi-def plasma CNC machines and a new template made of steel or aluminum is about 5 minutes away. We ALWAYS keep a "demo" model in stock to do government work. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Nuff said, nuff said. (another Monty Python quote) :D

Well, we've (we meaning me and the luthier that I'm working with on a metal bodied National resonator) have had a LOAD of stuff back from the laser cutters and it's cheaper than thought.

I think I'll give it a go with the steel (I'll see how aluminium laser cuts because if I accidentally hit the template with the router, I'd prefer the template to break rather than have bits of shattered router bit in my legs - there's a possability that it might not work though as aluminium is flamable :D )

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Kaj