Strings For Electrified Archtop

If you are gonna play "slide blues" what part do the frets take? Brass on brass is a very bad wear issue. I would make sure you got that neck(only one, right?) pickup secured well to the body and run some Darco or Martin hybrids. Been discussed a couple of times last week. NO flat wounds!

i've got an old silvertone arch top acoustic that i didn't feel like doing a neck re-set on. i installed a humbucker in it and used some john pearse phospor bronze 12's on it...raunchy bottle neck blues sound..with or without the pickup on and luckily i can chord the first five frets or so so it's really versatile.

that being said strings aren't a major investment so have fun experimenting until you get the sound you're looking for.

Well, that's pretty much what this is...it's an early '60s Egmond ...one of my ebay 'mistakes' --you know how it goes, you put a bid on something thinkin' you'll never get it for this price, then you end up stuck with it...got a couple more of those lying around here... :D

The neck was supposedly refitted by a luthier already...it looks pretty good, considering (no truss rod). The frets are in pretty good shape too, just a little dirty.

But I don't plan on keeping this one, I'm just prettying her up --I'm about to shoot the clear coat, (I'm going to post a pic in the progress section) then I'll put it back on ebay...

We'll see how it turns out...maybe I'll end up keeping it.

I think I'll start off with acoustic strings though --is there a big difference in the way the pickup responds to those as compared to electric strings?

Well, that's pretty much what this is...it's an early '60s Egmond ...one of my ebay 'mistakes' --you know how it goes, you put a bid on something thinkin' you'll never get it for this price, then you end up stuck with it...got a couple more of those lying around here...  :D

The neck was supposedly refitted by a luthier already...it looks pretty good, considering (no truss rod). The frets are in pretty good shape too, just a little dirty.

But I don't plan on keeping this one, I'm just prettying her up --I'm about to shoot the clear coat, (I'm going to post a pic in the progress section) then I'll put it back on ebay...

We'll see how it turns out...maybe I'll end up keeping it.

I think I'll start off with acoustic strings though --is there a big difference in the way the pickup responds to those as compared to electric strings?

there's a really big difference in how they sound. personally i really like the sound of acoustic strings with a humbucker or single coil. i think you'll enjoy it.

by the way, you can buy a little bottle slide nut that you just slip over the existing one and it raises the strings quite a bit. i make them out of 3/8 x 3/8 aluminum angle. if, after you're finished with it the action is too high you might get one and then sell it as a bottle slide guitar. just something to think about.