Painting And Staining My Guitar

I am working on restoring 2 guitarts at the moment, and need some help on the finishing.

1. I have stripped the paint off an old Telecaster (maple) down to where the original wood sealant is still intact in most areas. There were some areas I had to sand down to the bare wood, however. I would like to keep the natural finish look on this guitar, that is, not paint it any color. Should I re-seal the whole thing? Should I only reseal the bare wood areas? What kind of sealant should I use?

2. I have stripped the paint off an old Gibson SG completely down to the bare wood. I wish to paint this a light red, with the wood grain showing through. My questions are: 1. Do I first need to use a stain or sealant? If so, what kind? 2. Is there a special type of paint I need to use?

Thanks for your help!!

Maaaik

an old maple tele? is it a fender? Anyway, you want to get the finish even, if soem areas are bare and some sealed, you may notice a difference when refinished you have many options, I would continue to sand through the sealer, then stain. If you are looking for a clear coat you can spray lacquer and buff (See finishing tutorials) or finish with a tung oil.

For the SG, if you want the grain to show through, stay away from paint. Stain it then seal it or lacquer. I read somewhere how Gibson got the deep reddish brown look for many SG's but I can't remember where I saw it.

an old maple tele? is it a fender? Anyway, you want to get the finish even, if soem areas are bare and some sealed, you may notice a difference when refinished you have many options, I would continue to sand through the sealer, then stain. If you are looking for a clear coat you can spray lacquer and buff (See finishing tutorials) or finish with a tung oil.

For the SG, if you want the grain to show through, stay away from paint. Stain it then seal it or lacquer. I read somewhere how Gibson got the deep reddish brown look for many SG's but I can't remember where I saw it.

Well, at least I am pretty sure it is maple. Yes, it is a Fender. Concerning both guitars, you mention each time to stain, then lacquer. Is there a special kind of stain to use, or will any old wood stain do? Also, what is the best kind of lacquer to use?

thanks,

Mike