neck treatment?

I'm working on my project kramer/allparts mutt and just yesterday I got the unfinished maple neck I ordered from allparts (through "my" luthier who modded it for a locking nut). Now I need to find a way of keeping it from warping. I'm not looking to have any high-gloss finish or anything flashy, I just want it to stay straight. Plus it's kinda tight in the neck pocket so I don't think I want to put on a ridiculous amount of finish there...

so, here's what I would like to know:

I've heard about people using oil for their necks? what kinds of oil would work? any that would probably be easier to get than others?

what kind of finish could I use? any that I could easily find in a store?

would I need to do anything to the neck before I oil/finish her?

tung oil, is a nice finish

sand the neck to 320, then rub the oil on and buf it off in like five to ten min.

then i do this thre times over two days. then i use a peice of 000 steel wool, and dip it in the tung oil and rub it on the neck, do this about twice. make sure no steel wool fragments are left on the neck betwen coats, then buf that baby will some butchers wax when its dry, polish it up reel good and you will love the finish!

...some butchers wax when its dry, polish it up reel good and you will love the finish!

Is this a brand of wax, or a type? not come across it before. How does Tung Oil handle anniline wood dyes underneath?

:D

tung oil, is a nice finish

sand the neck to 320, then rub the oil on and buf it off in like five to ten min.

then i do this thre times over two days. then i use a peice of 000 steel wool, and dip it in the tung oil and rub it on the neck, do this about twice. make sure no steel wool fragments are left on the neck betwen coats, then buf that baby will some butchers wax when its dry, polish it up reel good and you will love the finish!

is it necessary to sand the neck? or is it just something you do to speed up the process? just curious...

anyone know what grade allparts sand their necks to?

butchers wax is a brand and a type

yeah i would wear rubber gloves and sand the neck prior to oiling it, this is incase any dirt or oils from your skin get on the wood .if you wear the gloves it will prevent that. i use latex doctor gloves.

ive never used linseed oil but it will probably work. id try it o a scrap piece of the same type of wood first. just to see what type of finish it gives and if its duarable.

butchers wax is a brand and a type

yeah i would wear rubber gloves and sand the neck prior to oiling it, this is incase any dirt or oils from your skin get on the wood .if you wear the gloves it will prevent that. i use latex doctor gloves.

ive never used linseed oil but it will probably work. id try it o a scrap piece of the same type of wood first. just to see what type of finish it gives and if its duarable.

hmm... I do have a left-over maple headstock :D

ok, about putting a couple of layers of clear on it instead of oiling it... I suppose I could walk into the nearest store and buy a spray can of some clear lacquer, but are there any kinds of lacquers I should be avoiding?

oh, and I already know about cellulose and I want to know what my other options are.