Truss Rod

Can anyone here give me a technical anaysis of the whole truss rod system, more in depth: how does it work TECHNICALLY, (i.e.: dont say it expands to exert pressure on either side) As the rod on my epiphone is mounted above the mass center point of the neck i dont really see how it could do anything but help the neck bend.

Can anyone here give me a technical anaysis of the whole truss rod system, more in depth: how does it work TECHNICALLY, (i.e.: dont say it expands to exert pressure on either side) As the rod on my epiphone is mounted above the mass center point of the neck i dont really see how it could do anything but help the neck bend.

I think you have your answer in your question. No it does not exert force from side to side. Yes it exerts for to help the neck bend (or counteract bending). Maybe more accurate in most cases compensate for string tension by exerting force to counter the neck bending too much. The double acting truss could compensate for a backwards (away from the strings) bowing in the neck, but this is not the norm. Truss rods serve a simple purpose not much about them that is overly technical.

Peace and good luck!, Rich