Problem With Stripping.

What brand stripper are you using? Cheap brands suck and dont work. Try using Zip-Strip Industrial stripper. It removes 8+ coats of all types of paint. Some other brands I hear about on this board, which I have never used are Aircraft Paint Remover and Kleen Strip products.

When sanding, try to use 60 grit or LOWER. It takes off paint fast.

All you need is a little bit of patience with stripper. Brush it on, let it sit for an hour then scrape. You will probaly have to repeat.(one coat of stripper for the clear, the other for the color).

It's not going to just take off the paint instantly :D

What brand stripper are you using? Cheap brands suck and dont work. Try using Zip-Strip Industrial stripper. It removes 8+ coats of all types of paint. Some other brands I hear about on this board, which I have never used are Aircraft Paint Remover and Kleen Strip products.

All you need is a little bit of patience with stripper. Brush it on, let it sit for an hour then scrape. You will probaly have to repeat.(one coat of stripper for the clear, the other for the color).

Haha, I waited an hour before trying to scrape :-P. I'm not sure what brand it was. We have several kinds at my house, for some reason. Do you HAVE to strip it to repaint it or can you just prime and paint over existing paint?

Haha, I waited an hour before trying to scrape :-P. I'm not sure what brand it was. We have several kinds at my house, for some reason. Do you HAVE to strip it to repaint it or can you just prime and paint over existing paint?

You can SAND down or strip the clear coat, and use the color coat as a base.

Edited by AlGeeEater

its ok to use the original paint as a base. If its a gibson tho you might consider sanding it down to the sealer, their lacquer tends to check after time and will show up in the new paint job. If you are gonna sand it down 60 grit on a palm sander works wonders and is extremely quick

MzI

its ok to use the original paint as a base.  If its a gibson tho you might consider sanding it down to the sealer, their lacquer tends to check after time and will show up in the new paint job.  If you are gonna sand it down 60 grit on a palm sander works wonders and is extremely quick

MzI

It's OK to leave the paint on there then? If so, I can just put the primer over the existing paint and paint over the primer?

In case you're feeling more industrious...

you don't say what kind of guitar or finish is on there, but if it's polyester, strippers won't work (you figured that out, good boy!)

on the other hand, an ordinary power sander will take it down to the sealer coat within minutes --you'll have to go at it by hand in the curvy parts of course.

I start with 40 grain, and the finish just comes right off.

Getting past the sealer is more difficult, but that's good news for you, you won't have to mess with that.

But it seems to make sense doing your repaint on top of the sealer, rather than on top of the paint --the guy who owned my strat before me tried that, and the result is that the paint just kind of rubs off ...