My Es335 In Progress...

Jay5 - thanks. I don't have my own paint setup anymore..but I'm starting. At the the weekend I ordered this: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=90451 to make a start with..

DKW. yep, this is very rewarding. This one is really just a learning experience for me, and whilst I have been unconventional in making the sides...it's worked OK...and I have learned a lot..and more importantly...learned what not to do. I'm hoping the pics show that the hours and hours I spent measuring up have paid of...and the glue joins are nice and tight. One thing I have learned is to make the neck first - I will have to make the tenon fit the cavity on this one...but all cuts are measured..so I'm hoping they stay true as much as they have done up till now....whether that is through sheer luck..I don't know!

Marksound. yes - I hear ya. I went to the Volvo stealers today and looked at a sample of the paint...and it's pearly enough, so I will not be adding the powder. But I will sure heed your advice anyway and make some test sprays on some cut-offs - making sure I prep them as I would the guitar..sand, seal or grainfill, sand then paint.

thanks all for your help...

Cheers,

Ian

Oooops! mistakes can be made and I don't mind saying I've made one..but as they say, it's not what you've done..it's how you put it right!

I spent most of last night binding the 'f' holes. Placed the strips of plastic in a tub of boiled water for a few secons..and begin to shape...

All worked quite well - the black went on great..nice glue line..the white OK..but the small circles at the ends of the 'f' holes were tricky...

In the end I decided they had to go...and I will think up something else..they came out pretty easy...with just a few spots where they had stuck fast...I guess I can just file these back...thankfully, the wood did not tear, the holes remained intact and was not damaged..just clean up the edges with a file and and get back to square 1...

Here's the mess I made - I'll clear the remaining bits out..

100_1422.jpg

The neck. I've been trying to get mahogany..but it's pretty hard to come by. I went to a local lumber guy round the corner from my office..he can offer me Sapele which is very much like African Mahogany..a bit harder and less prone to cross breaks...it's dried out quater sawn.

I got me two 30"x4"x2" lengths for £19 - he's going to dress all the edges for me to pick up tomorrow so dimensions will be less...but a good price I think.

Whilst I'm in his yard, I'll have a good sniff around and see what else he has..his prices are very good!

Very nice work. I can't wait to see it finished.

I wanted to ask about the laminate top and back. It looks like it went on pretty easliy. Did you have any issues with the curve?

The Mahogany is cool. I had to use birch on my last guitar. It works well. People just look at me funny when I tell them it's birch.

The HiTone Classic

Does any know where we can get Mahogany laminate in the states? Or even Maple laminate?

Hi Hitone...thanks for the comments..

It was actually your Fat Boy that inspired me to do this..that fat Boy was such a well executed piece of work. I've been through your website a few times..looking at the build process etc..excellent website..and superb looking guitars.

OK the top and the back. They went on pretty easy....the sustain block sides have to be rounded over. As the sustain block was 1/4" higher on front and rear...I had to clamp the front and back first to get the centre line...then clamp the sides (tight). It was pretty amazing to see as immediately...it got it's shape...which was quite satisfying at that stage.

I perhaps left a bit too much side wood at the horns...so the arch at the horns is not as pronounced as I would have liked as more of the top and back are glued...but I'll learn from this. The glue line is very good.

The mahogany is nice. The whole body feels very rigid now. I just have to be so careful sanding the top round the 'f' holes.

My only other issue was routing the binding channel on the sides as I've documented.

But so far, it feels and looks OK...I'm suprised how quick it has come together...shame I have not had so much time in the last week or so to continue...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally..at last I had some time to make a start on the neck. Couple of hours last night measuring, measuring again..and again...

Made a start today..then it started raining..Great!

OK, neck block marked up...first up..the truss rod slot.

Slot

Truss rod fitted...nice and snug..

Snug fit

and the nut end

Next up was to cut the tenon - with the router..

being cut

one side done

Ok, some more work with the router..cutting to measurement resulted in a tenon. As the neck pocket was cut following the face of the guitar - at an angle, this allowed me to cut the tenon square. Then it was a matter of measuring the angle at the front of the slot then cutting this on either side of the tenon...with a chisel...I keep my chisels sharp..and a good job too...this sapele is rock hard!

Anyway..here it is fitted in place as a test fit..

Test Fit

The centre line is bang on - always pays to measure several times before cutting..

Anyway..browse the album here: Album Update

Next up is to profile, design the headstock, do the fretboard..

btw, I've made this so it joins just ahead of the 19th fret...i've decided to use a 25" scale for this...

And finally, a pic for the post...

100_1444.jpg