Routing Dean For Floyd Rose

I am in the begining stages of installing an Original Floyd Rose on my Dean '79 Series Z,basically an Explorer style guitar.I am worried the body is too thin to do it.It measures 1-3/8" depth.But the floyd would sit high off the body so it will fit,becuase of the neck angle.I got the templates and I am going to route out on plywood first,to see what occurs.My fear is that the rear cavity route will go through part of the pickups routes on one side,the area where the screw is for the pickup,where they are deeper.

Stew Mac instructions say to route 3/4'' for the rear trem cavity.This is WAY too much,I think it would go through the pickup cavities,resulting in a GIANT hole in the guitar.Can I take out less and still have the springs/claw fit without sticking out the back of the guitar? Or should I just give up on this and install a Kahler? I tune down to B and don't think the Kahler would work for this,but could be wrong.I would also like to know if the Kahler has the same pitch range as a floyd,up and down,and if I would have to buy the "Gibson"style that goes on stopbar posts or flatmount.The guitar is string-through-body,by the way.

Oh one other thing...the pickup cavities are also 3/4'' deep,not including the cavity for the pickup screws.And it is 24-3/4'' scale,so should I measure the scale length and put the post holes about 1/2'' from the scale? Someone here said .415'' from the scale length,and this made sense to me.Sorry for all the questions,and thank you in advance!

I am in the begining stages of installing an Original Floyd Rose on my Dean '79 Series Z,basically an Explorer style guitar.I am worried the body is too thin to do it.It measures 1-3/8" depth.But the floyd would sit high off the body so it will fit,becuase of the neck angle.I got the templates and I am going to route out on plywood first,to see what occurs.My fear is that the rear cavity route will go through part of the pickups routes on one side,the area where the screw is for the pickup,where they are deeper.

Stew Mac instructions say to route 3/4'' for the rear trem cavity.This is WAY too much,I think it would go through the pickup cavities,resulting in a GIANT hole in the guitar.Can I take out less and still have the springs/claw fit without sticking out the back of the guitar? Or should I just give up on this and install a Kahler? I tune down to B and don't think the Kahler would work for this,but could be wrong.I would also like to know if the Kahler has the same pitch range as a floyd,up and down,and if I would have to buy the "Gibson"style that goes on stopbar posts or flatmount.The guitar is string-through-body,by the way.

Oh one other thing...the pickup cavities are also 3/4'' deep,not including the cavity for the pickup screws.And it is 24-3/4'' scale,so should I measure the scale length and put the post holes about 1/2'' from the scale? Someone here said .415'' from the scale length,and this made sense to me.Sorry for all the questions,and thank you in advance!

you should check out the Kahler 2300 profiler tremolo, they better than the floyd rose tremolo. the saddles are fixed not to move so when you dive bome you wont lose your intonation if the trem doesnt came back to the zero point. and you can adjust the saddles to the left or right to get them in teh center of the pole piece of your pickups. they come wityh brass or stainless steel saddles in chrome, black, or gold. you could get the one that fits your bridge studs it would be easier, all the diffrence is that you dont screw the tremolo plate to your body, just set it on the studs and it locks in place i believe.

www.kahlerusa.com try here and read up on the model you want, they will tell you what you need/want and how to do stuff to install. and im sure you wont have any problems with hurting the guitar if you use the instructions right,

but if you are still to nervous have a qualified luthier install it for you.

-Big Matt

(ok this is better than what i had posted with less spelling errors and more punctuation.)

later man and good luck if you havent done it already

Edited by Metalmattm