Converting 2-lead Humbucker To Tapped?

uglogirl

Hi, I have an ancient Dimarzio PAF - like the very first one - and I would like to use it in the neck position of the HSH frankenstrat I'm building with Steve Ahola's Frankenstrat wiried options. It's not tapped for single coil though and I was wondering if I can modify it... maybe break out the wires that connect the two coils together as 2 new leads? Or am I dreaming?

thanks!

PS - this is a great forum! I've built several frankenstrats/jaguars and plan on building one completely from scratch soon.

uglogirl

It's not hard. I do it all the time. I usually convert the whole thing to 4 conductor. You don't have to run two wires if you don't want to though. You can just put one wire on it. For a typical install they're wired together anyway. You probably can't reuse the tape, just because its so old. So once you remove it the stickiness might be gone. If it's got a lot of wax on it, sometimes I've rubbed (quickly) the soldering iron over it to melt the wax back down after I reapply the tape. That way the wax is your bond. You can leave the tape off too, because the coils themselves will be taped.

It's not hard. I do it all the time. I usually convert the whole thing to 4 conductor. You don't have to run two wires if you don't want to though. You can just put one wire on it. For a typical install they're wired together anyway. You probably can't reuse the tape, just because its so old. So once you remove it the stickiness might be gone. If it's got a lot of wax on it, sometimes I've rubbed (quickly) the soldering iron over it to melt the wax back down after I reapply the tape. That way the wax is your bond. You can leave the tape off too, because the coils themselves will be taped.

cool beanz thank you. It prolly won't sound like much with just one coil since it reads 8.25K for both but who knows.

uglogirl

Old DiMarzio PAFs are a hot commodity among Hamer players/collectors. Especially if they are double cream or Zebra.

If you go to www.hamerfanclub.com, join the messageboard and offer it for trade I bet someone there will offer you a REALLY NICE four conductor pickup for it. Plus you'll save a nice vintage pickup from being hacked.

Just a thought!

Old DiMarzio PAFs are a hot commodity among Hamer players/collectors. Especially if they are double cream or Zebra.

If you go to www.hamerfanclub.com, join the messageboard and offer it for trade I bet someone there will offer you a REALLY NICE four conductor pickup for it. Plus you'll save a nice vintage pickup from being hacked.

Just a thought!

wow wyldbil thanks for the tip... I would'nt want to hack up a priceless vintage relic when I can trade it. :-) I have two double creams. one has a very relic-y gold open frame cover on it. It's hard to find them these days.

Uglogirl

Edited by uglogirl