Finishing Questions

Ok, so i am in the process of planning to build a telecaster.

The guitar goes as follows,

1 1/2 inch African Mahogany body

1/4 flame maple top

Standard tele shape

i want to do just a clear untinted finish on the back and sides. Making the binding natural (think PRS). I thought this would be easy, but when i stain the top i figured that the stain would penetrate into the binding from the top. Making a fuzzy edge in my binding.

What could i do to stop this?

One of my friends said to clear the top, then mix the stain into a clear. Then spray that, then after a couple coats of that, clear over.

The problem with this, i thought would be getting the top to stain evenly.

Would that be a problem?

Has anyone here down this? ANd if you did, what method of finish did you use?

Is there any way you can remove the binding intact, stain the area(s) you want, and then reinstall the binding?  And then apply clear to everything.  Otherwise, a good masking job is all I can think of.

everyway i know to take the binding off wood ruin the wood.

There will be no "overhang" on the top like a normal binding, it will be stain out to the edges. I still dont know how to get the stain to stay in the top and not bleed into the maple.

i want to do just a clear untinted finish on the back and sides. Making the binding natural (think PRS). I thought this would be easy, but when i stain the top i figured that the stain would penetrate into the binding from the top.  Making a fuzzy edge in my binding.

What could i do to stop this?

Click this link and scroll down for a great example (props to David Myka).

Mask and seal your "binding" with clear lacquer. I think Myka uses brush-on. There's probably a tutorial in the forum or on PG, but I remembered this particular page on Myka's site. :D