Ibanez Neck Trouble

So I am new to building a guitar. I decided to build a guitar because I found that I couldn't find many guitars that were light-weight, and design to be played as nipple riders. I have somewhat fell in love with a cheap little Ibanez ICX120 (or 220 as they make them now) which is basically the small remake of the ICEMAN. So I wanted to make one...

So, I bought a body from someone who had shaped it a good bit. Now, I figured since I don't own a bunch of the correct tools to use, that finding someone who had shaped the body before me would be good, turns out its blowing up in my face.

There is numerous mistakes, that I know I should not bother to even try to fix and I should do it all myself properly in the first place, but, for educational purposes, I would like a little input on finishing this one before I start a guitar from scratch.

Now, the first problem I came across was bolting on the neck.

Ibanez necks are set with offset holes and the guitar body I have has been cut for a different type of neck with 4 even holes.

I am trying to sort out how I can go about still using the combination of the neck and the body...

-Can I fill the holes? and start fresh...

-Can I remove the whole piece that holds the neck and get a new block of wood to attatch to the body ?

-Can I do anything to solve this?

1) Neck/body combo: by far the simplest thing to do is plug the holes, align the neck, mark the new screw locations, and bolt it on. Seriously, DO NOT go hacking bits out of the body because a few screw holes don't line up. If it needed a new neck pocket, I've carfeully fill the route, plug the holes, re-route, re-drill. But that seems incredibly excessive.

Does the neck even fit the route vaguely? Ignoring the screw holes

2) If you don't understand where a bridge goes, go back and read your Melvyn Hiscock, 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar'. If you don't own it, BUY IT NOW.

Short version: the nut to bridge distance is fixed. Determined by your scale length (2x distance nut to 12th fret). If you move the neck down the body, you move the bridge down the body. Move it up, move the bridge up. Use 18 frets, or 27? Same position. It doesn't change. Place the pickups wherever you want to, really, same goes for where the neck meets the body, but the bridge location is determined by the scale length. The End. No way of changing it short of replacing the fingerboard with a different scale length board.

There's tons of info on this in the forum archives (search box is up there. Use it. 'Scale Length' or 'Bridge Placement' should help), and every book ever written on guitar setup, repair or construction should explain this at least decently. "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" certainly does.

I am trying to sort out how I can go about still using the combination of the neck and the body...

-Can I fill the holes? and start fresh...

Sure. I've done this a couple of times. Just drill out the holes in the neck the depth from the back of the neck to where the fretboard and neck material meet (not through the fretboard!) and then plug the holes with glued in dowels. Very easy.

-Can I remove the whole piece that holds the neck and get a new block of wood to attatch to the body ?

Wha? Do what I said above. It's the easiest and best way to fix your problem.

Rememeber the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

There's tons of info on this in the forum archives (search box is up there. Use it. 'Scale Length' or 'Bridge Placement' should help), and every book ever written on guitar setup, repair or construction should explain this at least decently. "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" certainly does.

Throwing "guitar scale length" without the quotes into Google provides a wealth of information as well.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Thanks* for the responses guys, its appreciated.

I figured I could fill in the holes, but I was un-sure about what to use, and if I filled a hole and drilled right next to that hole, would the filler hold its place.

When you said drill out the holes and then fill them with glued in dowels, does this mean make bigger holes? then fill them...

Yes. Use a drill press or other accurate means of drilling to drill out the holes to the size of your dowel, then coat the dowel with glue and insert into the hole. Allow to cure as long as the glue you use suggests, and then cut them down to nearly flush with a flush cut saw and sand down the rest. It's very simple, if time consuming while waiting for the glue to hold. You can use either maple, birch, or poplar dowels. 1/4" in diameter is about as big as you want to go, smaller if possible.

Remember the Alammo, and God Bless Texas...