Black Walnut Project

muggatu

On the JV-1 guitar I'm building I used an unconventional method for installing the CF rods. I just routed a 1/2" channel, 3/8" deep for this truss rod and two carbon fiber rods. The carbon fiber rods are first glued to the sides of the slot and then the truss rod is installed. I'm guessing you could use the same method, you'd just end up with a wider looking skunk stripe.

new01.jpg

The above picture shows how they fit together. The truss rod is actually backwards in this picture, but you get the idea. I find it better to route the truss rod channel so that the fingerboard will cover it, even if your using a maple one, since you won't have a skunk stripe using this method. Project looks great so far, keep up the great work.

• 3 months later...

So it's been a long time since I've been on here and i just remembered that I never got back to you guys on this one. So here are some pics of the finnished product minus a finnal polish and minor neck changes. Sorry if these are too big.

PC040051.jpg

PC040050.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Edited by muggatu

Unless you figure out some really interesting way to fit them into the neck from the back, you'd need more skunk stripes to hide the graphite. One idea would be to use graphite as the skunk stripe, but graphite dust isn't too good for your lungs.

peace,

russ

I'd be a little wary re: working/sanding/getting CF rods smooth and level on the back of a neck, and getting a good finish adhesion. Maybe sealing with epoxy would take care of that.

CF dust is nasty, but CF splinters are almost even nasties.