Routing Techniques And Methods

Option 2, definitely.

The thing I don't get with the forstner bit is that it leaves all those holes at the bottom of the route --do you use the bit for the full depth of the route, or do you just start the depth with the forstner bit?

Drill a touch shallow with the forstner, and clean up the bottom and the edges, still taking small bites. Works beautifully.

Option 2, definitely.

Drill a touch shallow with the forstner, and clean up the bottom and the edges, still taking small bites. Works beautifully.

OK, what I get is (see my signature): Use a forstner bit and route the cavity a little shallower. Then use another kind of routing bit to remove the holes left from the frostner bit and to reach the desired depth. Did I get it right?

My question is: what are the advantages of forstner bits? Why not start routing directly with the other kind of bit (the one that doesn't leave any holes at all)?

When using forstner bits is it possible to move the router in all desired directions or does the tip of the forstner bit stick it to one fixed position only?

Edited by DrummerDude

i always use the forstner bit first. the one and only time i didn't, the router caught the edge of the "island" in the middle and proceeded to chatter and rip up my template and, fortunately, the PRACTICE wood that i was using. another upside as was previously mentioned is that it will save wear and tear on your router bits. in this hobby, it is really important to use sharp cutting tools to avoid rips and tear outs.

btw, the best advice i got from this forum is go slow and don't cut corners (especially if your a beginner... like me). everything has been going great with my build with the exception of the one time i decided to cut corners (as stated above).