Ordered Another One!

Mickguard

Heh heh...so anyway...I wrote to Crate complaining about their prices here...I mean, everything that I've read about the V58 tells me it'd be a great amp....but I just can't get past the hijack on the price.

Well, they're not the only one....I'd consider the new Gibson 5/15, but there again, the price jumps by some 200 percent. Even the Valve Junior is about 50 percent more expensive --but that falls within 'reasonable' parameters.

Maybe it's because Europeans are just stupid consumers?

Well, it's still better being here than in the States!

Well i know on some peavey amps like the 5150(oops, 6505 :D ), the XXX, the JSX and the XXL they have a switch on the back that selects either 25,50 or 100Ws but 25 is still more than enough.

With things going to Europe the manufacturers do have to put up with shipping, customs, duties etc. but I agree that in most cases the markup is too great, but I have to deal with paying $32 for an In Flames cd because they don't have a North American distributor, go figure :D

Before you consider a crate V58 You should read this article. (This guy knows what hees talking about)

And I quote.

While I wasn't expecting much from the VC-508, I have to say that the reality was far worse than anything I'd imagined possible.  I can honestly report that I have never heard a worse-sounding tube amp.  The only way I can think to describe the overdrive is that it resembled the sound a table saw makes when it hits a nail.  In fact, my Danelectro Nifty-Fifty™ solid state amp breaks up more smoothly than my VC-508 did.

Thats not saying it won't sound good after you mod it per the mods on that site. But don't buy that amp without taking into consideration the fact that you'll have to mod it to make it sound it's best.

Edited by Godin SD

Before you consider a crate V58 You should read this article.  (This guy knows what hees talking about)

Well, sure, he knows his opinion about what he wants to hear. But it's only his opinion...you have to take that in stride.

But I'm kind of leery of amps with preamp gain knobs...I'm more interested in a class A amp, like the junior...yeah, I'm still going to get one, if I can find one that is.