Did I Get Ripped Off?

Buckethead

Hi i'm a noob to this forum and basically a noob to guitars, but I happen to have something that many guitarists more skilled than me do not.

This item is called a Fender Stratocaster (not a Squire), though it was about as cheap as a Squire.

I happened to be stumbling accross the gutiar section of a 2nd hand goods store when this guitar caught my eye. I immediately bought it for, get this, $210NZD (roughly $150USD)!!

It sounds too good to be true, and taht is the thought running through my mind at the moment.

I don't know how to get pics on this forum, but a brief dexcription may be enough for someone to help me with its validation:

*It has a 1 piece maple neck and fretboard (that means the fretboard and neck are not seperate pieces of wood, they are 1), i think fretboard is laquered (if that possible).

*Headstock made of same material as neck/fretboard, reads "FENDER stratocaster"

with small writing underneath "with synchronised tremolo", near the tip of headstock is a small section of writing containing: original contour body.

*Body made of Alder I think, it is a cherry sunburst kinda colour, with standard 3 pickup, scratchplate etc setup, back of guitar reads: Made in Japan(I think this is a bad thing) Serial no. will be given at request, I have found it is a 93-94 model.

*Sounds really good in the amp in my opinion, but i'm a beginner so what would I know?

Please help to see if this is a real one!

The fact that it's made in Japan (MIJ) is a good thing--means it's a high quality instrument. Fender Japan guitars are among the best Fenders out there.

Also, the fact that's its an MIJ guitar means that it's probably not faked --not likely people would go to the effort of faking an MIJ, you're more likely to find faked US/vintage strats.

Used MIJ's also sell for for a lot less than used USA, mostly because people like the aura of a guitar 'made in the USA', even though in the case of Fender, that doesn't often translate into any kind of quality guarantee (well, they've gotten a lot better, haven't they?) Anyway, the serial number on an MIJ doesn't mean much, yet. Maybe in 20 years. :D

So I'd say you got a great deal (barring any issues with the guitar itself). Have fun playing it!

Yeah thats a well good deal! The jap guitars rock! If there are any issues with the guitar, take it to a local tech and have him check it over, may cost you a little bit, but would be well worth it.

Congrats, enjoy your purchase!

I currently own 3 Fenders, two of which are Strats, and I've played countless more. Made in Japan Strats are some of the best strats out there, especially the early 80's models when Fender US was going to the crapper in the quality department. At $150 US, you did get an amazing deal. They go for between $250-350 on fleabay for non-reissue models.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Hi i'm a noob to this forum and basically a noob to guitars, but I happen to have something that many guitarists more skilled than me do not.

This item is called a Fender Stratocaster (not a Squire), though it was about as cheap as a Squire.

I happened to be stumbling accross the gutiar section of a 2nd hand goods store when this guitar caught my eye. I immediately bought it for, get this, $210NZD (roughly $150USD)!!

It sounds too good to be true, and taht is the thought running through my mind at the moment.

I don't know how to get pics on this forum, but a brief dexcription may be enough for someone to help me with its validation:

*It has a 1 piece maple neck and fretboard (that means the fretboard and neck are not seperate pieces of wood, they are 1), i think fretboard is laquered (if that possible).

*Headstock made of same material as neck/fretboard, reads "FENDER stratocaster"

with small writing underneath "with synchronised tremolo", near the tip of headstock is a small section of writing containing: original contour body.

*Body made of Alder I think, it is a cherry sunburst kinda colour, with standard 3 pickup, scratchplate etc setup, back of guitar reads: Made in Japan(I think this is a bad thing) Serial no. will be given at request, I have found it is a 93-94 model.

*Sounds really good in the amp in my opinion, but i'm a beginner so what would I know?

Please help to see if this is a real one!

hey, sounds like a good buy. got a BC. Rich bodyart (bout 1 year old) for $300NZD not long ago at the local cashies, just ahad a few chips on the horns. every now and then you find a jem amongst the sand :D .