Acoustic Guitar Project

hi,

I'm going to do my first guitar project soon, which is taking the paint off an acoustic I have and refinishing it with a 'natural' look. What paint-stripper is the best for this, and how should I use it? At the moment it has a sunburst color.

thanks  :D

Go to the homepage of this site and do a search, either under refinishing or paint stripping.... :D

hi,

I'm going to do my first guitar project soon, which is taking the paint off an acoustic I have and refinishing it with a 'natural' look. What paint-stripper is the best for this, and how should I use it? At the moment it has a sunburst color.

thanks  :D

the type of stripper will depend on the type of finish on your guitar. some finishes strip fairly easy with chemical strippers and won't touch others. some finishes you simply have to sand off.

try finding the home page of your guitar's manufacturer and see if they tell you what type of finish they used. then re-post your question or go to the tutorial section here.

good luck

Be really, really careful when stripping the top, in particular. Stripper will damage rosette and binding if it's plastic/acetate stuff, and spruce (let alone WR Cedar) is really soft, easily dented wood, and already v. v. thin. You don't want to sand away any thickness there. Just remove the finish. Nothing else.