Natural Finish

BonzaiBob

Ok i'm about to invest in a deluxe tele body from warmoth, with a quilted maple top.. I want to give it a clear, natural finish.. But before i invest in the body itself i need to know how hard this is?

I have not done this before so excuse my ignorance.. What materials(laquers? etc) would i need?

I've checked the tutorials but as far as i can see there is nothing regarding a natural finish..

Again, forgive my ignorance :D:D

If you laquer it, it's as hard as spray painting - if you're good at it, it'll be easy :D

If you want alternatives, I just had a go on a piece of scrap and found my next guitar's finish. I wiped 3 coats of sanding sealer onto it, letting them dry between coats and then sanded to 1000 grit. I then put 3 coats of Briwax on it and let it dry - then a good polish with the cloth and hey presto - GORGEOUS finish.

If you laquer it, it's as hard as spray painting - if you're good at it, it'll be easy :D

If you want alternatives, I just had a go on a piece of scrap and found my next guitar's finish. I wiped 3 coats of sanding sealer onto it, letting them dry between coats and then sanded to 1000 grit. I then put 3 coats of Briwax on it and let it dry - then a good polish with the cloth and hey presto - GORGEOUS finish.

cool... Heh, i have no idea if i'm good at it, i'll soon find out..

So all i would need is to sand it smooth, and then add a few coats of laquer? That's it?

The main thing i'm worried about is how long stuff like that takes to dry,, this will most likely be done in my bedroom, and as you can imagine, if it takes days to dry i may have some slight brain damage by the time it's dried :D

Is the laquer applied with a brush? How many coats?

I know it sounds like i know sweet fa, but i just need to get my facts right before i start any of this.

Ok, all i really need to know is, what brand of Aerosol/brush on guitar lacquer is best? Would i need coat of sanding sealer first?

And this is all that's need yeah? There's nothing i'm missing? What about polishes etc? i'm looking for a clear glossy finish that will show off the quilted maple.

Edited by BonzaiBob

http://reranch.com/

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm

Those two places should answer any question you have. The only real issue is weather you want to use rattle cans or brush. I would recomend sticking with one brand or type for the whole job.

George

Missed the bedroom part when I posted that. You MUST find someplace else to paint the guitar, the bedroom is not an option.

Well there you go mate - all the advice you need is in the two links.

I would like to say that the woods you use are down to personal preference - the tone from each would be different and hence personal taste comes into it. A lot of people have done a mahogany and maple combo and liked it. I've used the same combo but the maple was a veneer so made little difference to the tone.

Whatever you use, it'll be better than a cheap shop bought one any how!

Research the tonal qualities of different woods with the search function at the top - I'm sure you'll get a better idea then. It's all I did.