Chalky Res

Stiffy

I clear coated the front of a headstock with laquer. The top, sides and edges are like chalky white. Probably a little over spray residue. I tried using naptha on it and it made more white. Then I wet sanded with water and it took some of the white of but doesn't seem to take it all off. Will Blush Erasure remedy this dilema?

I clear coated the front of a headstock with laquer. The top, sides and edges are like chalky white. Probably a little over spray residue. I tried using naptha on it and it made more white. Then I wet sanded with water and it took some of the white of but doesn't seem to take it all off. Will Blush Erasure remedy this dilema?

Need more info

Does the clearcoat have a cloudy appearance within it or does it have a sandpapery feel and some rubs off when touched?

A little more info needed on how the topcoat was applied, by spraycan or gun

If by gun what air pressure and thinning ratio?

I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned but heres a bit of advice anyway

If you live in an area of high humidity, or you painted on a day of extreme high humidity, it could cause a cloudy effect in your finish (moisture trapped within the paint)

To relieve this try either heating up the spray area (room) PRIOR to painting or buy some retarder thinners to add to your paint mix prior to coating

If its the sandpaper effect try lowering your air pressure and and adjusting your fan width (slightly narrower) and recheck the solvent to clearcoat mix ratio (maybe add a little more solvent, but watch for runs and sags)

If done by spraycan warm up spraying area and experiment with your technique a little more

Get back to me if you have anything to add

dayvo :D

Need more info

Does the clearcoat have a cloudy appearance within it or does it have a sandpapery feel and some rubs off when touched?

A little more info needed on how the topcoat was applied, by spraycan or gun

If by gun what air pressure and thinning ratio?

I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned but heres a bit of advice anyway

If you live in an area of high humidity, or you painted on a day of extreme high humidity, it could cause a cloudy effect in your finish (moisture trapped within the paint)

To relieve this try either heating up the spray area (room) PRIOR to painting or buy some retarder thinners to add to your paint mix prior to coating

If its the sandpaper effect try lowering your air pressure and and adjusting your fan width (slightly narrower) and recheck the solvent to clearcoat mix ratio (maybe add a little more solvent, but watch for runs and sags)

If done by spraycan warm up spraying area and experiment with your technique a little more

Get back to me if you have anything to add

I used Watco gloss laquer clear coat on the front of the headstock. It's a areosol spray can.

There is no cloudy appearance trapped underneath the finish on the front of headstock. The top and sides and edges would be sandpapery feel and kind of rubs off when touched. It's probably the clearcoat overspray turning white when it dries is my guess.

OK The most likely cause of this effect is that you are holding the spraycan too far away from the spraying surface.

Give it another lite sand and remove the chalky appearance, clean up, then try wetting it up a bit more by holding it closer to the spraying surface, but dont be too heavy handed or you will get runs and/or sags.

Between coats allow plenty of time for the laquer to tack off ((touch dry) - gently use the back of your fingers to check for this, no unsitely fingerprints :D )

Practice on a bit of scrap first

OK The most likely cause of this effect is that you are holding the spraycan too far away from the spraying surface.

Give it another lite sand and remove the chalky appearance, clean up, then try wetting it up a bit more by holding it closer to the spraying surface, but dont be too heavy handed or you will get runs and/or sags.

Between coats allow plenty of time for the laquer to tack off ((touch dry) - gently use the back of your fingers to check for this, no unsitely fingerprints :D )

Practice on a bit of scrap first

Sorry, but I'm just spraying the front and not above, sides and edges of the headstock. So will blush eraser be the best route to clearing up the white chalky over spray? Edited by Stiffy