Passive Neck Pu And Active Bridge Pu?

ibanez13

Is it possible to wire a passive neck pickup and an active bridge pickup together, or do they need to both be active/passive? I have a LiveWire pickup I want to put in my guitar, but I didn't get another active pickup for it. I would like to just keep the one I already got, but I don't really know what I am doing.

If you install a buffer on the passive pickup, you can treat it just like an active pickup - I've got a fairly simple schematic and vero layout if anybody's interested in "rolling their own".

Can you send me that schem please? I'll save it cause I'll no doubt have to wire it/draw up a diagram for someone sometime.

Thanks a lot

My secret weapon:

Buffer_schem.png

You could probably replace the JFET with a 2SK170, BF245, MPF102, J201 or 2N5484 without issues, and the PNP transistor with a 2N5087. 2N4403, or any general purpose or lo-noise small-signal silicon PNP. This circuit will drive a 25K volume pot with less than .01% distortion (with an input level of 1 volt P-P), it's frequency response is within 3dB of flat between about 10Hz and 100KHz, and draws about 700uA in operation. Replacing C2 with a .22uF will rolloff some more bass below 30Hz if mechanical noise becomes a problem. Avoid shorting the output directly to ground - very bad things are likely to happen! :D

I've got a fairly easy stripboard (veroboard) layout for this one - if you'd like a look at it, email me and I'll send it to ya, or if there's massive interest, I'll post it here. :D

I've got a fairly easy stripboard (veroboard) layout for this one - if you'd like a look at it, email me and I'll send it to ya, or if there's massive interest, I'll post it here.  :D

Hey thanks! I'll have that one too please! :D

Like I said, I'll probably use it at some point.