Stripping.....

Ok, before I get blasted to check out PGs website, it will not work for me, mind you my computer is suck-prone. And google was as helpful at this as if I asked a cookie maker :D

So, down to the question, I have an old crappy acoustic guitar that the finish is dirty and ugly. Its not a full sized acoustic, but its not a small toy one either (first act etc. :D ) But I wanna strip it and give it a glossy black (or if somehow possible) a sparkle black finish.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the best ways of using these things?

Thanks in advance! B)

Ok, before I get blasted to check out PGs website, it will not work for me, mind you my computer is suck-prone. And google was as helpful at this as if I asked a cookie maker  :D

So, down to the question, I have an old crappy acoustic guitar that the finish is dirty and ugly. Its not a full sized acoustic, but its not a small toy one either (first act etc. :D ) But I wanna strip it and give it a glossy black (or if somehow possible) a sparkle black finish.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the best ways of using these things?

Thanks in advance!  B)

Remove hardware --> Mask Fingerboard etc. --> Paint stripper --> Sandpaper --> Paint (better quality = Better finish, visa-versa) --> depending on the quality of the black coat you could nitro over it and get a really nice sheen, or if its shiny enough leave it -->string-up --> enjoy! :D -----------------------> now stop making excuses and build one for real! B)

If your looking for cheap stuff i had pretty good results using duplicolor you can get at walmart. Its an auto-body paint that has laquer in it (i believe) and you can buy a clear coat of duplicolor as well to spray on top of it (all rattlecans). And also if you wanna pay a little more there is stuff at www.stewmac.com. Go to the finishing products, there is a black laquer you can buy. Spray a couple coats of that until the black is opaque, then spray the clear coat nitrocellulose they sell. You can get a pretty nice finish out of either of those. But you said its a small scale guitar so you would probably want to go with the first way I mentioned as it is a lot less expensive. Be sure to post pics when you do it!

• 4 weeks later...

Was about to add a new thread, then saw this thread already there.

I am about to attempt a similar project.

My acoustic is something close to a tobacco sunburst.

I want to get it to black, but with a matte finish. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thank You ! :D

Edited by grooveguru