Gfs Pickup - Wiring Codes?

uglogirl

I've been trying to figure out how the four GFS leads correspond to SD and Dimarzio but it's alil confusing because of the schematic that comes with the GFS. Does anyone know for sure what it is.... this is a boutoqe overwound PAF in the neck. I get

A B C D

SD ---- Blk White Red Gr

GFS ----Gr Red White Blk

I have a suspician that this might be completely backwards because I heard the are the *same* as SD. anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Kiira

Edited by uglogirl

I've been trying to figure out how the four GFS leads correspond to SD and Dimarzio but it's alil confusing because of the schematic that comes with the GFS. Does anyone know for sure what it is.... this is a boutoqe overwound PAF in the neck. I get

A B C D

SD ---- Blk White Red Gr

GFS ----Gr Red White Blk

I have a suspician that this might be completely backwards because I heard the are the *same* as SD. anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Kiira

As I understand it the GFS pickups are reverse wound, so what you show above should be correct to wire the pickup with another standard pickup 'in phase'. Otherwise if you take it color to color the pickups will be out of phase from each other.

By all means give us a product review, I been tempted to get that exact pickup but have baulked without stats or reviews by others. :D

As I understand it the GFS pickups are reverse wound, so what you show above should be correct to wire the pickup with another standard pickup 'in phase'. Otherwise if you take it color to color the pickups will be out of phase from each other.

By all means give us a product review, I been tempted to get that exact pickup but have baulked without stats or reviews by others. :D

Ok... well I just wired it to the 4P2P switch as I originally figured it...and I'll see what happens :D

I will surely let you know how it fares... it's in a HSH guitar with a X2N at the bridge and a quarter pounder in the middle.

Kiira

A B C D

SD ---- Blk White Red Gr

GFS ----Gr Red White Blk

Thanks,

Kiira

That is a good tip. With those colours, if you used all gfs for two pups, then wiring up as per SD would work. If all the coils are reversed, the sound is the same. In combo with other makes, there is the further factor of which way the magnet is polarised, whch can further reverse things.

So I think the thing is to be aware of the possibiilty of phase issues as you wire up, and if you dont get a proper sounding in-phase combo when yu should, think about reversing wires.

With an analogue multimeter, I use a 'screwdriver pull off test'. You set the most sensitive dc voltage setting and put the meter leads across the guitar output, (or the pup wires if you are checking before building). Place a screwdriver tip on a pole piece and lift it up sharply. The meter needle will jump either up or down. You have phasing correct when, for a basic in phase combo, all relevant coils cause the meter to jump in the same direction when you do this test.

John