Guitar Maintenance

I have recently had the neck adjusted on my accoustic guitar. I then fitted new strings which are heavy guage. During the re stringing the E and A strings kept popping out from the bridge holes and took several days to settle. I have experienced this with other guitars but does anyone know the possible cause and how it may be fixed (presumably I located the strings properly in the first place).

Also at the same time I fitted a new set of Grover tuning heads but I notice when tuning the B string that when taking it up to pitch it tends to suddenly jump by a small notch making the pitch slightly higher than required. Again I have experienced this on other guitars but can anyone advise if it is the tuning head at fault or the guitar bridge?

Apologies if I am not in the right forum area please advise if I need to re post.

Regards

Peter

i get the feeling from your question that you installed heavier strings than you usually use. that probbly explains both of your situations. generally when you have a problem with strings "popping" out of the bridge holes it's because the ball end itself is sitting on the end of the string peg or that the twisted wire that holds the ball end or "bead" to the end of the string is binding in the pin's slot. so when you tighten the string it pulls the pin out of the hole. the solution is to make sure that the ball end is seated properly on the bridge plate before you tighten to pitch.

the problems with tuning is just the larger sized string binding a bit in the nut slot that has been cut for smaller strings. as you tune up it sticks in the slot a bit and then slips free causing it to be a little sharp. take a really sharp pencil and rub the tip in the nut slots and this will lubricate it a bit so that it doesn't bind. if it continues and you intend to keep using the heavier strings you might think of enlarging the nut slots.

hope that helps some.

i get the feeling from your question that you installed heavier strings than you usually use. that probbly explains both of your situations. generally when you have a problem with strings "popping" out of the bridge holes it's because the ball end itself is sitting on the end of the string peg or that the twisted wire that holds the ball end or "bead" to the end of the string is binding in the pin's slot. so when you tighten the string it pulls the pin out of the hole. the solution is to make sure that the ball end is seated properly on the bridge plate before you tighten to pitch.

the problems with tuning is just the larger sized string binding a bit in the nut slot that has been cut for smaller strings. as you tune up it sticks in the slot a bit and then slips free causing it to be a little sharp. take a really sharp pencil and rub the tip in the nut slots and this will lubricate it a bit so that it doesn't bind. if it continues and you intend to keep using the heavier strings you might think of enlarging the nut slots.

hope that helps some.

I have recently had the neck adjusted on my accoustic guitar. I then fitted new strings which are heavy guage. During the re stringing the E and A strings kept popping out from the bridge holes and took several days to settle. I have experienced this with other guitars but does anyone know the possible cause and how it may be fixed (presumably I located the strings properly in the first place).

Sounds like badly fitted bridge pins, honestly. And/or the notch in the bridge (there's a notch, right?) isn't big enough to safely seat the ball end. In my view, you should pretty much be able to pop out the bridge pins when the guitar's tuned up, and have the strings stay in place. Works less well on thinner strings if you're using notched pins, but still, it stands. The ball end should be resting on the bridge plate, firmly, unmovingly.

Also at the same time I fitted a new set of Grover tuning heads but I notice when tuning the B string that when taking it up to pitch it tends to suddenly jump by a small notch making the pitch slightly higher than required. Again I have experienced this on other guitars but can anyone advise if it is the tuning head at fault or the guitar bridge?

Apologies if I am not in the right forum area please advise if I need to re post.

Neither. The nut slot for that string is too tight. It's binding.