Noise Problem With Hb But Not Split Hb And Sc

widdly

Hi All,

I've recently bought a second hand Washburn 7 string guitar. It is fitted with 2 humbuckers and a single coil, 1 tone and 1 volume. The tone is a push-pull which works as a coil tap. There is a 5 position switch which has 8 solder lugs on the back.

It was a bit noisey so I checked the wiring and it was a total mess (I've never seen such big lumps of solder). I've rewired the whole thing like an Ibanez guitar, with positions 2 and 4 having half a HB and the middle SC. The problem I'm having is that in positions 1 and 5, where a single humbucker is selected, I'm getting some hum, even with the coil tap off. However is positions 2 and 4 I'm not getting any hum at all.

I don't know what brand the humbuckers are but the colours don't match any I've seen on this site. They have black,red, blue and white wires as well as a bare ground. The red and black wires form one half and the white and blue the other. The original wiring had the white and bare wires going to ground. The black and blue wires go to the coil tap. I'm wondering if the white and blue might be the wrong way around. Would this account for my hum problem with the humbuckers by themselves? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

OK so I'll answer my own post :D

I rewired the pickups. The two wires for the second half of the humbuckers needed to be swapped (the blue and the white). It would seem that the wire colors of the mystery pickups is the same as dimarzio only using blue instead of green. It all sounds great now.