Les Paul Wiring

Michael Withers

I have just ordered some new EMG active pickups for my Les Paul copy to replace the dreadful stock pickups that are supplied with the guitar. And whilst I have the guitar in pieces I would to modify the volume controls....... Something that has always annoyed me about les pauls is the fact the guitar has 2 volume knobs and when both pickups are selected you cant independantly adjust the volume of each pickup. This would be of great use to me because I think the neck pickup on the LP is far 2 a overpowering tone in contrast to the bridge pickup.

However, I do like the sound of the neck pickup but think it would be better at 1/2 the volume. If I could lower the volume of the neck pickup independantly of the bridge then this would be a good thing.

Ive played around with pickup heights and managed to take the edge off the neck pickup and I would like to go a step futher by modifying the circuit so I can independantly adjust the volume of each pickup.

Iam have little idea of electronic theory but I can solder well and read circuit diagrams as long as they are well written and diagramed...

Can anybody help with this?

I have just ordered some new EMG active pickups for my Les Paul copy to replace the dreadful stock pickups that are supplied with the guitar. And whilst I have the guitar in pieces I would to modify the volume controls....... Something that has always annoyed me about les pauls is the fact the guitar has 2 volume knobs and when both pickups are selected you cant independantly adjust the volume of each pickup. This would be of great use to me because I think the neck pickup on the LP is far 2 a overpowering tone in contrast to the bridge pickup.

However, I do like the sound of the neck pickup but think it would be better at 1/2 the volume. If I could lower the volume of the neck pickup independantly of the bridge then this would be a good thing.

Ive played around with pickup heights and managed to take the edge off the neck pickup and I would like to go a step futher by modifying the circuit so I can independantly adjust the volume of each pickup.

Iam have little idea of electronic theory but I can solder well and read circuit diagrams as long as they are well written and diagramed...

Can anybody help with this?

Open up the back plate and locate your volume controls. Of the three lugs, one will be attached to a ground, probably the back of the pot. Leave this terminal alone.

Unsolder, reverse the connections of the other two lugs on each pot, then resolder. Presto - independent volume controls.

Some gibsons (among others) come wired this way - it's the same as the volume control wiring of a Jazz Bass.