Alternative Pickup Placement

Mickguard

I'm planning my next build...it's going to be partly inspired by the LP Junior's hardware-- I have a dogear Gibson P90 here (also have the compensated wraparound bridge).

I'm a bit worried about the single pickup design though --that is, I'm not so sure I want to be limited to the usual bridge position sound.

When I play a two-pickup guitar, I tend to favor the middle position on the switch, blending the two pickups but emphasizing the highs of the bridge pickup.

The guitar I'm planning won't have any room for a neck pickup though. At least, not a second P90. And besides I wanted to keep this guitar simple, in the spirit of the LP Jr.

So I'm looking for alternate pickup placements for the P90.

For example: since the harmonics at the 7th fret are pretty clear for all the strings, does it make sense that its corresponding pickup position --i.e., the 31st fret-- would be a good choice for placing the pickup? (is this where the middle strat pickup is located?)

But that sets the pickup pretty close to the neck position, I'd worry I'd lose more highs than I want. Is there a similar/better sweet spot between the 31st and normal bridge positions?

I did see some physics PHd somewhere that modelled all the possible pickup positions somewhere. I think though it is a little hit and miss. The harmonics may be right at the 7th fret (or 31st) but only for an open string. As you fret higher up, the string length effectively shortens, as does the ratio of harmonics along it.

I considered this type of thing with the sustainer (the driver is like a pickup in reverse) when contemplating having it bridge mounted. I reasoned, that although they say that the neck position is prefered as it is in the middle of the string with the broadest swing in the vibration, that is where it should be...but in practice it works perfectly well (if not better cause the strings are pushed down closer to the driver) on the very highest frets...only a cm from the driver...

Anyway, I digress! I have known of people wiring up a pickup and suspending it with tape and blocks over the guitar to find the best position "tone" wise for a particular instrument, scale length and tone required...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

pete

Anyway, I digress! I have known of people wiring up a pickup and suspending it with tape and blocks over the guitar to find the best position "tone" wise for a particular instrument, scale length and tone required...

Well, since my telecaster is already heavily routed under the pickguard, I'm thinking of going all the way, opening up the space completely and using that to test the P90.

I realize it won't sound exactly the same (different bridge, different scale length, different neck wood), but it should give me an idea of what kind of changes I can achieve. Too bad I don't have a Gibson-style guitar to play with!

Although it might be interesting to do as you suggest --I can build a rudimentary support for the pickup to test out different locations.

I'd love to add some kind of sustainer...since I'm using a compensated wraparound, you'd think there'd be a way to use the space underneath that to add some sort of doohickey... :D

You could get really weird and devise some kind of sliding mount...but then perhapos not...hehe

Apparently a lot of sound deviation comes from very small amounts...some say the telecasters bridge pickup tone and cut has in part to do with a 1/16" deviation in placement compared to a strats to the bridge (of course there is a lot more with a tele pickup and mounting).

With a pickup with a fairly wide field like a Humbucker the effect is a little less defined I suspect, a P-90 less than a single coil, due to the sensing appature and overall design...or so I believe...

I'd love to add some kind of sustainer...since I'm using a compensated wraparound, you'd think there'd be a way to use the space underneath that to add some sort of doohickey... :D

Well, you'd be in luck there...as long as the pickup isn't too far towards the neck. My driver is as thin as 3mm and with a single pickup guitar you don't have the problems of all that bypassing of the other pickups...you just need to turn it on. You could make one and test it completely outside the guitar like this...

amp2.jpg

tempting, isn't it... pete

Well, since my telecaster is already heavily routed under the pickguard, I'm thinking of going all the way, opening up the space completely and using that to test the P90.

e

I think that's a great idea and if you look at some of the aftermarket Strat bodies out there they've gone ahead and just routed out a rectangle spanning the whole pickup area. If you're covering it up with a pickguard, why bother to route out individual spots for the pickups? Its one of the only reasons I keep considering a pickguard on my as yet unannounced first project - ease of routing and flexibility in terms of switching pickups. Besides some of my fellow Project Guitar members think its unconscionable to do without one. :D

Well, I don't want to go the sliding pickup route...not looking for much novelty here. Mostly what I'm trying for is the bite of a bridge pickup but with more of the midrange...at least, I think that's what I want :D

As for the placement issue --my main worry would be if there are any 'dead' spots, where the pickup just won't sound good at all, or where it might kill the sustain.

If that's not a problem, then ultimately I'll accept the sound I get from the guitar (and use my amp to fine-tune it).

But a sustainer would be fun...be nice to have a stealth sustainer (i.e., hidden under the pickguard). Flick a switch and zoooommm....!

As for pickguards...well, I'm one of the few brave defenders of pickguards around here. Most of these guys are too far into all their swirly curly flame-tops to (gasp) cover any of it with a pickguard. But I like pickguards for their practicality (i.e., hide those edges) and for their design aesthetic. Otherwise, the guitar just ends up looking like a slab of wood with a neck attached to it.