Another Wiring Question

Jeff B

OK. heres what I have. I really want to use a 3 posistion toggle. I want to do bridge hum (series), single coil from each in series, and neck hum (series)

Then using a push / pull pot go to

bridge single coil, inner coils in reverse phase parallel (like a strat posistion 4), then neck single coil.

Can anyone figure this out ? I was planning on a 4pdt like from dimarzio. I have their diagram for center coil tap, I mad my own for center series single coils. I can get everything to work except the center. It seems I get one or the other.

By the way, the Dimarzio tech people couldnt figure this out. They said ti was not possible.

I really want a toggle and a single push / pull.

Somebody help !

That dimarzio 4pdt is listed as an on/on/on style, meaning three position. Do you happen to have any diagram how this switch works out position wise? I looked at the dimarzio site and couldn't find any info except for a few diagrams wired using the switch, but nothing about which terminal is which related to the switch positions.

That dimarzio 4pdt is listed as an on/on/on style, meaning three position. Do you happen to have any diagram how this switch works out position wise? I looked at the dimarzio site and couldn't find any info except for a few diagrams wired using the switch, but nothing about which terminal is which related to the switch positions.

no diagram. I think its like 2 on/on/on on their side

pos 1

1-1 1

1-1 1

1-1 1

1-1 1

pos 2

1-1 1

1 1-1

1-1 1

1 1-1

pos 3

1 1-1

1 1-1

1 1-1

1 1-1

Edited by Jeff B

See if this will meet your needs... I guess I need a little clarification. Instead of bridge and neck pickup I'll use pickup#1 and pickup#2. If you agree with this switching, you can name #1 or #2 to your preference of which is neck or bridge.

I'll also call your "other" switch - the DPDT or whatever a mode switch. Oh, and toggle positions 1 & 3 can be reversed.

Ok? This is what I think is possible:

Mode switch position 1:

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 series humbucking.

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 inside coil, pickup #2 outside coil, series humbucking

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 series humbucking.

Mode switch position 2:

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 inside coil

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 inside coil, pickup #2 inside coil, parallel in phase, non-humbucking

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 inside coil

If you really need the two single coils in parallel to be out of phase, you'll need two more poles on the mode switch. BTW - position 2/4 on a strat ain't out of phase.

Ok? This is what I think is possible:

Mode switch position 1:

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 inside coil, pickup #2 outside coil, series humbucking

Mode switch position 2:

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 inside coil

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 inside coil, pickup #2 inside coil, parallel in phase, non-humbucking

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 inside coil

If you really need the two single coils in parallel to be out of phase, you'll need two more poles on the mode switch. BTW - position 2/4 on a strat ain't out of phase.

OK, cancel the out of phase thing then, This is what I was thinking.

Mode switch position 1: Les / PRS sounds

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 outside coil, pickup #2 outside coil, series humbucking

Mode switch position 2: Strat sounds

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 outside coil

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 outside coil

So you got a diagram for that ? or even the one you explained above ?

Edited by Jeff B

Well, ok... I drew up this schematic for the switching I outlined.

switching-1.gif

When I drew it up on paper, I assumed that the coil 1's were the inside coils, making the coil 2's on the outside.

The only way you can get two outside coils from separate humbuckers to connect up in series and be humbucking is if those coils are opposite polarity.

I mention this only because I mount dual humbuckers so that the inside coils are the same polarity to prevent the (e.g.) N pole of one from interferring with the S pole of another. If your humbuckers are mounted this way, then the outside coils of each can't become humbucking.

Well, ok... I drew up this schematic for the switching I outlined.

(picture removed to save space)

When I drew it up on paper, I assumed that the coil 1's were the inside coils, making the coil 2's on the outside.

The only way you can get two outside coils from separate humbuckers to connect up in series and be humbucking is if those coils are opposite polarity.

I mention this only because I mount dual humbuckers so that the inside coils are the same polarity to prevent the (e.g.) N pole of one from interferring with the S pole of another. If your humbuckers are mounted this way, then the outside coils of each can't become humbucking.

Brilliant !!

Give me a little while to wrap my mind around that.

So posistion 4 on a strat, those are reverse polarity, not phase ?

So would the closest sounfd from 2 humbuckers be 1 inside and 1 outside in parrallel ?

Making our single coil switching

pickup 1 inside

pickup 1 inside partellel with pickup 2 outside

pickup 2 outside ?

Edited by lovekraft

So posistion 4 on a strat, those are reverse polarity, not phase ?

Depends. Vintage strats, prior to the introduction of the 5-way switch had all three pickups with the same polarity (i.e. all north pole or south poles whichever it was on top). Using a reverse wound/reverse polarity pickup for the middle position came sometime after the 5-way switch. The pickup wiring, at least produced by the Fender factory for standard strats was "in-phase".

So would the closest sounfd from 2 humbuckers be 1 inside and 1 outside in parrallel ?

I don't think so. The quack sound from either position 2/4 happens primarily due to the distance between the strat pickup coils. So to get that sound from humbucker coils, I would want to get as close to that same distance between coils as possible.

Making our single coil switching

pickup 1 inside

pickup 1 inside partellel with pickup 2 outside

pickup 2 outside ?

The easiest way to do that without messing up the humbucker mode switching would be to simply turn one of your pickups around the other way. To do that with switching would require more poles on the mode switch - I haven't worked out how many more.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, giving up on selecting which coils I want, is there any way to do this ?

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 single coil, pickup #2 single coil, series humbucking

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 single coil

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 single coil, pickup #2 single coil, parallel humbucking

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 single coil

:D-->

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Mar 31 2006, 06:44 AM)

Alright, giving up on selecting which coils I want, is there any way to do this ?

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 single coil, pickup #2 single coil, series humbucking

o toggle position #1 - pickup #1 single coil

o toggle position #2 - pickup #1 single coil, pickup #2 single coil, parallel humbucking

o toggle position #3 - pickup #2 single coil

Well, I modified and came up with this.

switching-2.gif

It needed a 3pole double throw for the mode switch. Notice that toggle position 2 are the same coils, the mode switch determines series or parallel operation.

• 2 months later...

Wow, how about this, If we think of the switch as (4) switches instead of 2 on/on/on, we can have (2) switches that connect to post 1 in posistions 1 and 2, and the other post in pos 3 (I will call them Ta), and (2) that connect post 1 in pos1, and the other post in 2 and 3 (I will call them Tb). The 2 sides of the push pull will be called Ma and Mb. See if this is clear to you, this would give you the following, with a single dimarzio 4dpt 3 posistion toggle, and a push pull pot.

Mode (push pull) in pos 1

1. pickup 1 series humbucking

2. 1 coil from each pickup, series humbucking

3. pickup 2 series humbucking

Mode in pos 2

1. pickup 1 single coil

2. 1 coil from each pickup, parralell humbucking

3. pickup 2 single coil

switching-2.gif

Edited by Jeff B