Stuck On A Bridge

I've been working on my Hagstrom HIIN for quite sometime now, and am just about finished. I have the pickups set to be installed, the tuners ready, all that's left is the bridge. But there lies the problem.

The bridge rest on posts that do not fit in the pre exsiting holes from the old bridge. The spacing is fine, it's just that the posts are not the proper width and depth. I am set on keeping the bridge, as it is the right look, and a bridge that was highly recommended.

http://www.wdmusic.com/tune_o_matic_bridge..._24827_prd1.htm

This is the bridge. Any ideas as to how I can fit it properly. I have been told to fill the pre-exsisting holes with a dowel, and redrill, but I can't figure out how that would work.

OK, the important thing is that the post spacing is exactly the same. The website you pasted says the bridge comes with inserts. I'm not sure but I think they are actually calling the posts (threaded rods) the inserts. At least I don't see any proper inserts in the picture. Proper inserts are supposed to be studs inserted into the wood The posts screw into those. So if you can't find proper stud inserts w/ the same inside diameter/threadsize as the "inserts" they provided then you have to pull the existing Hagstrom inserts, tap in tight fitting dowel, cut flush and drill the centers out to the exact same size as the new posts. There might be the need for matching up the finish on the dowels, but if you aren't concerned then the bridge should cover things up.

HIIN is a nice lookin' guitar, btw. :D

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1976_Hagstro...N_53_977019.htm

I have a Hagstrom III myself. What are you actually doing with this guitar? just replacing parts? or an original refurbishing? If the former, I'd be interested in any spare Hagstrom parts you might have.

Edited by Southpa

Assuming the bridge holes are too large, why not use a modern TOM bridge which has larger posts. Those old style TOM bridges with the thin posts are prone to bending where as the modern versions are rock solid.

If you choose to fill the holes you can use a product called quick-wood. It is an epoxy wood filler that drills, shapes and sands much like wood.

OK, the important thing is that the post spacing is exactly the same. The website you pasted says the bridge comes with inserts. I'm not sure but I think they are actually calling the posts (threaded rods) the inserts. At least I don't see any proper inserts in the picture. Proper inserts are supposed to be studs inserted into the wood The posts screw into those. So if you can't find proper stud inserts w/ the same inside diameter/threadsize as the "inserts" they provided then you have to pull the existing Hagstrom inserts, tap in tight fitting dowel, cut flush and drill the centers out to the exact same size as the new posts. There might be the need for matching up the finish on the dowels, but if you aren't concerned then the bridge should cover things up.

HIIN is a nice lookin' guitar, btw. :D

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1976_Hagstro...N_53_977019.htm

I have a Hagstrom III myself. What are you actually doing with this guitar? just replacing parts? or an original refurbishing? If the former, I'd be interested in any spare Hagstrom parts you might have.

Yeah actually I'm fixing it all together. It need alot of love. The neck was split down the center, it came unglued I guess. I have a tech fix that. I'm installing new tuning keys, pickups, and a bridge. And well a new nut, and knobs. Eventually a refinishing will be nessacary, but I don't have the time now, nor the money.

When I dowel the holes, and drill out the new ones, will I need inserts to fit the post. After all the posts are threaded, if that makes a difference.

When I dowel the holes, and drill out the new ones, will I need inserts to fit the post. After all the posts are threaded, if that makes a difference.

That bridge is not the highest quality TOM available. Just the posts are sunk into the wood, the thumbwheels are then threaded onto the posts then pop the bridge on top of the thumbwheels. Adjust bridge height with the thumbwheels.