Hey all or anyone with lots of experience.I,ve got a Yamaha SG 1000 and the frets are at the point they no longer can be crowned and the notes are pretty much flat sounding.The fret board is bound and they are the original frets.I,m considering pulling the frets and refretting the board ,and my ? is this.Would I need to put some heat to the frets with a soldering iron prior to pull them?Is there a chance that they were glued in at all ?and if so how much heat applied by the iron would be too much that the heat might ruine the binding.?I,ve done quite a few fret instals with success,but never a refret.Your advise would be great,thanks and cheers to all. :D

Just heat up the fret with the soldering gun and slowly pry one end lose first, then move the soldering gun down the fret as you follow with the pullers prying back and forth with the fret, until the whole fret comes out. On the bound neck, stay away from it with the soldering gun, if it's like a Gibson, as depending on what it's made of, might melt.

Strat_fretpull1.jpg

Just heat up the fret with the soldering gun and slowly pry one end lose first, then move the soldering gun down the fret as you follow with the pullers prying back and forth with the fret, until the whole fret comes out. On the bound neck, stay away from it with the soldering gun, if it's like a Gibson, as depending on what it's made of, might melt.

Strat_fretpull1.jpg

Thanks for the info brother ,I,ll be getting to it within the next week,cheers. :D