Stain/ Paint Combo: And A Mistake To Avoid

warped

Hello...

I'm working on my first refinishing project and have learned a few "what not to do's" :D

What not to do: Mask the guitar, leaving the bevel (edges) , that will be painted black, before painting (or staining) a lighter base coat. Yep, I did it. I knew it was dumb move, yet I continued "forward". :smart: :D

I should have: Stained the body then masked and painted the bevels. At least that's what "I" think I should have done... and will do next time

Before I learn another one, I'd like to see what you guys think...

The guitar I'm doing is a Kramer Vangaurd (Rhodes V), I've painted the edges black... using acrylic lacquer... but want to stain the front/ inside using a Minwax water based stain. Should I remask OVER the black (to preserve the color) or will the stain wipe off of the acrylic lacquer?

I'm not trying to lazy as much as avoid doing something that isn't really needed... sort of like when I sanded my body really smooth and then applied epoxy as a filler... that's a whole 'nother story though B)

and yes, I've read the tutorials, and millions of threads..

Hello...

I'm working on my first refinishing project and have learned a few "what not to do's" :D

What not to do: Mask the guitar, leaving the bevel (edges) , that will be painted black, before painting (or staining) a lighter base coat. Yep, I did it. I knew it was dumb move, yet I continued "forward". :smart: :D

I should have: Stained the body then masked and painted the bevels. At least that's what "I" think I should have done... and will do next time

Before I learn another one, I'd like to see what you guys think...

The guitar I'm doing is a Kramer Vangaurd (Rhodes V), I've painted the edges black... using acrylic lacquer... but want to stain the front/ inside using a Minwax water based stain. Should I remask OVER the black (to preserve the color) or will the stain wipe off of the acrylic lacquer?

I'm not trying to lazy as much as avoid doing something that isn't really needed... sort of like when I sanded my body really smooth and then applied epoxy as a filler... that's a whole 'nother story though B)

and yes, I've read the tutorials, and millions of threads..

I started over.... not because of the stain on the black paint, but because of a more "obvious" problem.

I filled the grain with epoxy and discovered the stain doesn't like epoxy.

I already knew that... or thought I did... but I thought it would be fun.

It was! :D

but there were places I sanded through to the wood others that I didn't... it looked odd.. not odd in a good way though :D

BUT I finally got to mix acetone and black (minwax) stain with epoxy... I liked the extended drying time and runniness (runny-ness - yeah, I'm making up words)... it was much easier to work with. B)

The stain wiped off of the black paint by the way

Why am I typing all of this?

Just because.