Base Plate?

cole

I was just wondering if anybody knows the effect if you were to put base plates on all three pickups? I've asked around and nobody really has any knowledge about this, I have a set of Vintage 62' original Strat pickups and was wondering if it would work to but them on all three. The pickups are all original but the leads have been cut down to about 1" a piece so I feel these are good to experiment without totally ripping these apart.

I was just wondering if anybody knows the effect if you were to put base plates on all three pickups? I've asked around and nobody really has any knowledge about this, I have a set of Vintage 62' original Strat pickups and was wondering if it would work to but them on all three. The pickups are all original but the leads have been cut down to about 1" a piece so I feel these are good to experiment without totally ripping these apart.

A base plate made of a magnetic material (Iron and most steels) will 'focus' the magnetic field towards the strings slightly. This should make the pickups sound slightly hotter due to a more sensitive field. I believe this is the arrangement on vintage styled telecaster bridge pickups. So if you dig that sort of sound then go for it. A base plate made of anything non-magnetic (brass ect.) will not affect the sound at all.

:D hope that helps a little

Robert

would it be better with some tape on the bottom of the plates before I put them on with wax or should I just use the bare metal and no tape, I bought some and they have tape on the bottom and I was wondering if it made a diffrence.

You should attach the pickup(s) to the plate(s) with some silicone or something similar. I think the potting wax would probably have the same effect. (To keep the pickup from squealing.)

There's more about the science of it here, Singlecoil.com. Go to the "Guitar" page (menu on the left side of the main page) and check out the PDF (Adobe Acrobat) documents "How to get a Tele style tone out of any Strat" and/or "How to get a a better bass response from a Strat." It's pretty much the same info, written a little differently.

I bought a base/bass plate from him, to use under the bridge pup on my Johnson JS-050-¾, but that project's on hold for awhile so I can't report on any change in tone. There's a vendor who has tons of sound clips of various pickups that they sell, and some of the files are of the same pups with and without a base plate. I think it's Acme Guitar Works.