Need Advice On Wood Choices For An Archtop

Hi. I'm planning on having a guitar body built by the local luthiers. I have an Ibanez RG 570 AANJ neck that I really love. I have a design in mind but I need your advice as if it would turn out as I want it to.

Shape: RG Archtop

Dimensions: 1,75" at rims, 3" at bridge.

Woods: Ziricote carved back, mahogany middle piece, and a Spalted maple top.

Bridge: Orig. Floyd *** Need advice cause I'm not sure if it would kill much of the acoustic sound.

Pickups: H-S-H (not sure between EMG's or the pickups I used in my previous Rg (X2N, Single, Breed Neck)

Controls: 1 vol, 2 tones, 5-way, maybe EMG-AB cause I have one lying around

The back and top would be thick, because I want them to leave their signature in the sound. I'm going for the same dimensions as a PRS Hollowbody: 1,75" at rim and 3" at bridge. It has to be thin near the borders 'cause I really have super fat guitars. I have an Epiphone Sheraton II and I play 5-6 hours per day, and I can't stand the sides poking me.

First the wood choices. I really want to have a unique sound out of this guitar, so that people can recognize me not only with my playing style but with my trademark sound (that's how it works). In my normal day I have to play a lot of different styles, and I often do Studio. I have to be able to roll off the snappy sound to get at least a decent acoustic tone for jazz and latin. The Ziricote would help get better fundamentals, clearer sound with more volume, bring out the highs and lows (if I'm wrong tell me). The mahogany middle wood would add a little low-mid and warmth, and then the Spalted I really don't know. I was told it responds like maple, but since it's rotten maple it is obviously softer so it has a different tone. I read some people soak it with epoxy (!!!) to harden it, so I'm affraid it would kill the vibration and sound like cardboard. I'd like to have unusual harmonics brought up by the guitar top and the Ziricote, so that when I play distorted it has a unique voice. I prefer the hollow sound because id has a natural punch, attack and it really breathes. Add that to woods the make it scream. I chose Spalt because I love the looks, but I don't know if it owuld give me the distinct sound I'm looking for.

Ok. Hope it's not too confused.

For the bridge.

I absolutly want a tremolo. Actually I have a Schecter C-1 Classic and while it does some things pretty well, I miss the RG's trem cause it's really useful. But I'm fearing the Floyd would kill too much or the resonnance. What do you think?

I would have it finished thin clear finish, maybe a stain on top (tobacco sunburst).

Also I'd like to specify I like the feel an RG has because it doesn't have a lot of tension on the strings, bends are easy, as are legato runs. So keep in mind the guitar won't have the sustain of a Les Paul, and the bridge choice will affect the string tension and feel. I really feel comfortable with both floyds and fixed bridges, but when I have a fixed bridge my complaint is that the strings are often hard to bend.

I'm waiting for your advices.

Thanks.

Chris

Forget about using spalted anything in a guitar where the acoustic response is important.

Imagine making the soundboard out of stale cornbread....

stale cornbread
:D

That would be some nasty looking cornbread.

Have you found your Zircote? That is going to be some expensive material(not to mention rare) at the required widths and thickness. I love that stuff though. You co want a good stable top. Try something unique- Maybe Douglas Fir(powerful) or Port Orford Cedar(big full and punchy), or a solid piece of Maple(if more traditional flavor floats your boat).

Peace,Rich

It's sad about the spalted, cause I REALLY love that wood.

I didn't find the wood yet. I'm going to meet the luthier so that he understands exactly what I want, and check what ziricote he can find, and if it is olooking good enough. But on Ebay there is always about 20 pieces of ziricote, many of them have the right dimensions, they only need to be cut in half/bookmatched, and isn't pretty expensive. But if the luthier has some killer pieces I don't mind paying a lot, cause when I'm gonna have the wood choices done and the guitar built, I'll keep it for a LONG time if it nails the sound I'm looking for.

But anyways, I'd need suggestions of alternative woods for the top.

That Douglas Fir sounds interesting, where does it come from, sound like?

Edited by christhegreat

It's sad about the spalted, cause I REALLY love that wood.

I didn't find the wood yet. I'm going to meet the luthier so that he understands exactly what I want, and check what ziricote he can find, and if it is olooking good enough. But on Ebay there is always about 20 pieces of ziricote, many of them have the right dimensions, they only need to be cut in half/bookmatched, and isn't pretty expensive. But if the luthier has some killer pieces I don't mind paying a lot, cause when I'm gonna have the wood choices done and the guitar built, I'll keep it for a LONG time if it nails the sound I'm looking for.

But anyways, I'd need suggestions of alternative woods for the top.

That Douglas Fir sounds interesting, where does it come from, sound like?

Hmmm.... You may want to double check that Zircote. It is rare(trust me) at those widths/thickness. When it is 8/4 or thicker it tends to have a lot of splits and checking(a lot of the time it is not re-sawn because the people cutting think it is damaged inside, and don't want to cut it). Cookwoods will probably have some Zircote up on Ebay, but I know they are not cheap if they even think it looks like a good piece they will charge(if it is cheaper, it will have defects- they know what they have for sure.). Just words of caution, and a friendly heads up from a Zircote fan that has bought his fair share.

Douglas Fir- I know it grows in the Northwest(my neck of the woods). You can run across nice old growth(preferably salvage). It is stronger than Sitka Spruce and has a bright clear bell like tap tone. It makes for very reponsive sound boards, and can be used fairly thin(great stiffness). Bright, clear, and punchy. It makes a great neck also(very strong and stable).

Peace,Rich