Is This Normal For Gibson?

This is a picture of a one piece mahogany Gibson Custom Shop Explorer body that I bought on EBAY 2 1/2 years ago. The guy worked in the Kalamazoo factory, and took it before he left. He said it was made in 1980. I bought it for $100, and most of the routing was done, except for the pickup cavities.

My question: is a normal Gibson neck pocket usually this narrow? It is only 1.25" wide.

So, I was thinking of making it a little wider. And since the pickguard covers the space between the pickups on an Explorer, I was thinking of making the neck pocket longer too, to accomodate a long tenon...all the way to the bridge pickup. I originally wanted a mahogany neck to match, but I already own two all mahogany Flying V's. So, for a slightly brighter tone, now I'm thinking maple laminant neck with two rosewood stripes.

th_Explorerbody001.jpg

Edited by Stolysmaster

That is normal and for a Les Paul as well. They have a small tennon that they hand fit to every body.

I plan on making it longer. Do you think I should make it wider too? It just seems to me that there is more strength in a tenon that is wider than that.

Edited by Stolysmaster

Personally, I wouldn't bother making it wider. I'm building an explorer and mine is about the same width. I don't think there would be much more strength in a tenon that is wider than that. It could even make it weaker if you make it too wide (because the sides of the front of the neck pocket will become too thin).