Binding Bearing Bits?

j. pierce

I guess I'm going to plunk down the change on a set of binding bearings and a bit. (Yay. Alliteration.) My dremel system just isn't cutting it anymore. I'll most likely make my decision between LMI's set and Stew Mac's based on where I end up needing to make my next order from, to combine on shipping.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....r%2FBearing+Kit

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_...es.html#details

I've ordered tools from both places and have confidence that neither is going to sell me shill gear, but I was wondering if anyone can think of a specific reason one set would be better than the other, or recommend a better place to get this sort of set up?

The only thing I can see that seems like it would make a huge difference is that the LMI bit seems to have the bearing ride a bit farther from the blade, which might make headstock binding more difficult if I don't plan ahead.

I don't know, this is probably a dumb question, but figured I'd ask.

The LMI set is by far the more complete of the two, with a price to match; many, many more purfling scheme options. I have the StewMac set and a set that's virtually identical to the LMI one that I got for half that price, but which is sadly no longer available. Not found any alternative places since.

Depends what you want to do with it. I will only use it for binding bodies and necks, I don't do acoustics. My option is Stewmac because I just want the bit with one bearing for now and plan on getting additional bearings as I need them. I just can't afford the whole set and would never use it to its full extent anyway.

At $11.25 per bearing the lmi set is too much for me, stewmac's $5.60 is better in my application. On top of that there's always the option of putting a couple of layers of tape on a bearing to make a smaller cut instead of buying more bearings.

Additional, looking at the lmi picture, I think their bit looks sorta dodgy, I like the look of the stew mac one :D (I'm sure it works fine though before I get flamed) :D

I guess I'm going to plunk down the change on a set of binding bearings and a bit. (Yay. Alliteration.) My dremel system just isn't cutting it anymore. I'll most likely make my decision between LMI's set and Stew Mac's based on where I end up needing to make my next order from, to combine on shipping.

The only thing I can see that seems like it would make a huge difference is that the LMI bit seems to have the bearing ride a bit farther from the blade, which might make headstock binding more difficult if I don't plan ahead.

I don't know, this is probably a dumb question, but figured I'd ask.

JP,

LMI set is generally preferred by alot of people. I have both and generally use the LMI kit. Reasons...bearing runs lower on the bit...helps keep router a bit more stable and allows for deeper binding cuts if necessary. Also more bearings in the set....sticking tape around bearings is a P in the A.

Cheers Martin