Trouble After An Evening Out

Ok here it goes, i took my guitar over to a friends place recently, when i got there the guitar was cold and was buzzing all over the place and wouldnt stay in tune for very long, i figured this to be the temperature change and i thought it was no big deal. Anyway, now it buzzes like crazy all the way from 1st fret to the top of the board. so i followed the tutorials on the setup. now i dont have any buzzing anymore but hell, the action is more than 1/8th inch at the 12th fret, it was slick as hell befor i took it outside the house. ive been messin with it so much that a couple of the saddle hight adjustment holes are stripped. Im really bummed out over this :D Any suggestions on what i can do? i cant see me having to replace the neck, and i really cant afford to take it to someone to fix it or tell me that it cant be fixed.

Thanks everyone

Thanks GBT for the help on gettin the noise out of my emg

Try reposting this in the main Solid body guitar section, doesn't seem like this is getting enough notice.

Make sure you give the make and model of the guitar too, that could be important info --big difference between a Les Paul type and a Strat type or one of the metalhead Floyd Rose types.

Also, describes the things you did for the setup--especially did you tweak the trussrod at all?

Sounds like your neck is bowed back. Remove the strings and use a straight edge to adjust the neck.

Thanks Mammoth, ill give that a try today, the guitar is a Jackson JS1, bottom of the line jackson but i like it alot(aniversary gift from the wife :D ) its got a 2 point fulcrum bridge. I followed the tut on settups, and tried to follow it the best i could.tried adjusting the bridge hight, adjusted saddle hight, I changed the strings from 9s to 10s and i adjusted the truss rod to get the relief right between the 1st and 12th fret. intonation isnt an issue for me right now im just more concerned about the string hight, cause i know its gonna be way out the further up the board i go. If i sound like im makin more of a mess than soulution hit me with it cause im gettin a little intimidated about being able to fix this by myself(but reading all the posts here from people who know what they are doing makes me feel alot better). thx guys

I think you need to go back to step one --it sounds like you adjusted the truss rod last, when it seems to me this should pretty much be your first step --make sure the neck has the proper relief, then make all the other adjustments.

And when you're setting the relief, you want the guitar in tune and make sure you take your measurements from player position. Seems hard to believe, but the simple fact of lying a guitar on its back really does change everything.

Also, for setting the relief -- I'm pretty sure you're supposed to measure by pressing the string down at the first and last frets --not the 12th fret. The relief is then measured at the 7th fret or so. You can use a capo to hold the string down at the first fret.

And when you're setting the relief, it sometimes takes a little while for the neck to shift into place. On my guitar, I had to reset the truss rod a couple of days after the initial adjustment--I'd loosened it more than it needed.

Thx mickguard, im gonna give it another whirl tonight, if i can lol depends on how hyper the kids are. if i dont post another reply tonight ill be back with more devistating news tomorrow, lol.

Thx mickguard, im gonna give it another whirl tonight, if i can lol depends on how hyper the kids are. if i dont post another reply tonight ill be back with more devistating news tomorrow, lol.

Yeah, I know about the energy-leech...er...I mean, kids, thing.

Anyway, you might as well wait for some of the real experienced guys to pipe up on this --I'm still pretty new at this, and most of what I know comes from de-screwing my own screwups. :D

lol. cool. Grandma fed em chockolate bunnies and ice cream, so by the time they are weak enough to pull down from the ceiling it will probably be around midnight so i wont get anything done tonight, lol.

if i can take some pics of the mess im makin ill post em.

Well i think the problem is solved for now, lol the wife bought me a new 81, lol. so while i was pulling the old pickup out i said the hell with it and i took the neck off too, when i got the 81 in and restrung it it seemed to have settled down alot, dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing but the action isnt too high now, still a little higher than id like it but it will have to do for a while, atleast until the novelty of the 81 wears off, lol. thanks guys ill be back with more trouble later. :D