My Bass

About a month and a half ago I stopped attending classes and started getting more into bass guitar. After about a week of intense bass-o-rama I decided to build one. I set rules, these being: 1) no measuring, 2) no power tools, and 3) no real plan.

As this was basically my first foray into lutherie I decided to jump in head on and just do what I could to make a playing instrument.

I went to the hardware store and bought two 6"x4' boards of walnut and maple, ripped both in half, laminated the two maple peices in the middle and the walnut on the sides. Then I cut out the neck side profile. The face (for the fingerboard) had to be angled in comparison to the body, as I was aiming to combine an upright with a guitar and needed the ability to bow it. I glued a 3"x24"x1" Indian rosewood fingerboard on and rounded it with a plane and a bunch of sandpaper. Then I cut out the body wings from sapelle and glued them on. I built a combined headstock and nut and a bridge out of the sapelle as well and affixed the prior at the top of the neck with some more glue. I ordered some upright bass strings, strung it up, adjust the bridge about 30%, noticed the fingerboard was about 6% out of whack in terms of a non-level section, and then destroyed my d string. At that point school was nearing an end and I mailed it home so I could work on it later. I should finish it within the week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48873994@N00/...57594141788737/

Well, no inches or centimeters or anything like that. I used devices to get the widths of various parts the same, but I never used the numbers on my slide rule. And except for the body layout and the centerline down the boards for the neck I drew no lines either. The main idea is develop as unique a style as possible I guess, free even from numbers.