Warped Neck On Accoustic Archtop. Or Is It?

Hi. I have a similar problem toMaurits in that I have a 50 year old archtop (Framus Zenith). Which seems to have a warped neck. Now I have seen lots of tutorials on how to reset a neck, involving removal of the fret board and sanding.

My concern is that on closer inspection Im not sure the neck is warped. If I look down from the body end the neck seems to slope away to the left at the body end, but when I look again the fretboard seems actually slightly thinner (1-1.5 ml) at the left edge. Is this possible (normal).

I would appreciate if anybody can help me here as I don't want to either replace the neck or remove it unless absolutely necessary.

(The guitar came to me in a bit of a state without bridge, tailpiece or strings so I haven't played it. )

CHeers

Hi. I have a similar problem toMaurits in that I have a 50 year old archtop (Framus Zenith). Which seems to have a warped neck. Now I have seen lots of tutorials on how to reset a neck, involving removal of the fret board and sanding.

My concern is that on closer inspection Im not sure the neck is warped. If I look down from the body end the neck seems to slope away to the left at the body end, but when I look again the fretboard seems actually slightly thinner (1-1.5 ml) at the left edge. Is this possible (normal).

I would appreciate if anybody can help me here as I don't want to either replace the neck or remove it unless absolutely necessary.

(The guitar came to me in a bit of a state without bridge, tailpiece or strings so I haven't played it. )

CHeers

let me suggest that before you worry too much about the neck you install a tailpiece and bridge then string it up and see if you actually have a problem or not.

good luck with it.

First, get yourself a straightedge ... at least 18". Then you can really see. If you want to bypass whether the fret tops are level (the effects of wear etc) get one of those www.stewmac.com notched ones or save some $ and grind your own notches into one.

If it's actually twisted a bit you may be able to pull the frets and sand it flat using a radius block.