24 3/4 Scale Length

As some of you may or may not know, I’m about to start a LP project but I’ve come across a problem. (Trying to eliminate all possible problems before I actually start cutting wood :D)

Les Pauls are made to a scale of 24 9/16" these days but commonly come under the category of 24 3/4". Unaware of this, I bought myself a pre slotted 24 3/4" fingerboard from StewMac only to later realize all templates and plans are based around 24 9/16.

This may or may not be a big issue as we are only talking about 3 sixteenths of an inch, but as far as intonation goes, I’d imagine it’s a big issue.

So I’m trying to work out the best possible solution, should I just knock the bridge back a bit to allow the extra length, glue the neck to the body higher up (which would probably see the body joining around the 17th fret as opposed to the 16th, which I’m not keen on at all), or just buy another fingerboard and cut the slots myself to a 24 9/16" scale?

Any thoughts on this

Thanks

As some of you may or may not know, I’m about to start a LP project but I’ve come across a problem. (Trying to eliminate all possible problems before I actually start cutting wood :D)

Les Pauls are made to a scale of 24 9/16" these days but commonly come under the category of 24 3/4". Unaware of this, I bought myself a pre slotted 24 3/4" fingerboard from StewMac only to later realize all templates and plans are based around 24 9/16.

This may or may not be a big issue as we are only talking about 3 sixteenths of an inch, but as far as intonation goes, I’d imagine it’s a big issue.

So I’m trying to work out the best possible solution, should I just knock the bridge back a bit to allow the extra length, glue the neck to the body higher up (which would probably see the body joining around the 17th fret as opposed to the 16th, which I’m not keen on at all), or just buy another fingerboard and cut the slots myself to a 24 9/16" scale?

Any thoughts on this

Thanks

Have you checked the fretboard from nut slot to 12th. You will most likely find it is not 24.75" actual scale length. I believe they supply 24 9/16" (but of coarse the only way to know for sure is to check). That advertised scale length can be a bit confusing historically (24 3/4" has = 24 3/4", 24 5/8", and 24 9/16"(most common today). One way or the other as long as you know what you have for sure you can adjust bridge location (and possibly neck PU) slightly for correct placement.

Peace,Rich