Paint In Black

Hello everyone this guy I know is wanting me to refinish his jackson black he beleives it is laquer and my question is it absolutely necesary to strip off the whole finish or can I just schuff it up a bit then put some primer on it and go from there because I have never stripped off a finish and since its my friend I really don't want to screw this up not to mention I am not makeing hardly anything off it.

It would be better to strip the entire body and start over, in my opinion. If the finish that is already on it is pretty thick, it would be absolutely monsterous to lay down another howevermanylayers on top of it.

Sure, you could do that.

But then you would have to re-seal the entire body and shoot a primer before painting.

Basically, put on what you've just stripped off.

I'm not sure "howmanypaintjobs" you've done, but your advice will surely cost this person a whole lotta time and materials to obtain the same results.

Edited by Dino

Yea, well, you can give him more advice when he goes to put the neck back on and it doesn't fit in the neck pocket for all the new paint.

There is a reason the tutorial section of Projectguitar.com has three different tutorials for stripping a body.

Yea, well, you can give him more advice when he goes to put the neck back on and it doesn't fit in the neck pocket for all the new paint.

There is a reason the tutorial section of Projectguitar.com has three different tutorials for stripping a body.

Dude, the simple fact that you'd paint a neck pocket speaks volumes for your experience.

Now that you've read all three tutorials on "how to strip a body", I suggest you go back and try to find one that teaches you how to paint one. :D

Edited by Dino

Meanwhile...

I've stripped a couple of bodies --I just sanded off the finish. I took both back to the sealer --I stopped there because getting through the sealer to bare wood is just about impossible. Well, a lot more effort than it's worth.

But that sealer provides a great base for new paint. Better than I could do myself!

I suppose if I just wanted a solid color though, I would have just sanded back a little bit.

And yeah, I don't paint in the neck pocket.