Looking For Fingerpicking Advice

ceve4life

I just started fingerpicking and was wondering whats the right hand position (or the best position). I've heard the thumb should pick the E and A strings, index for the D, middle for the G, and third for the B and not to use my pinkie. I'm not really sure of any good techniques to learn from, such as what angle the hand should be positioned at. If anyone wouldn't mind helping me out, please do. Thanks.

I just started fingerpicking and was wondering whats the right hand position (or the best position). I've heard the thumb should pick the E and A strings, index for the D, middle for the G, and third for the B and not to use my pinkie. I'm not really sure of any good techniques to learn from, such as what angle the hand should be positioned at. If anyone wouldn't mind helping me out, please do. Thanks.

I'm just starting to fingerpick too, so bear that in mind for the following (although what I'm learning comes from my teacher who's been fingerpicking for 30 years...)

First off, I think the position and method differ depending on the type of music/guitar you want to play--so it's going to be different for classical guitar. But let's assume you're looking to rock out to some raggedy blues stuff. If not, then what follows won't be much use.

So, teacher tells me, unless you have a certain type of thumb shape and really thick strong fingernails, you should be using fingerpicks. A lot of guitarists get by with just the thumb and index, although he has me wearing one on the middle finger too because that can be useful. With the thumbpick, I believe your hand will naturally fall into position --there's not a hundred ways to play with them.

Next, he suggests looking at the thumb-index combination as a flatpick --downstrokes with the thumb only, upstrokes with the index only. That way, eventually, you don't actually move your fingers--you use your wrist as you would a flatpick --your thumb/index assume a position. The advantage over the flatpick being that you can use different string combinations and also pinch the strings for two (or three with the middle finger) tones at once.

For solos/lead lines, you use your thumb/index combination --even on the treble strings. None of this this finger goes to that string crap --that might be all right for folk music or classical, but it gets in the way for rock n' roll.

For bass drone type stuff, you're downstroking the bass notes with the thumb while working the index and middle combination (like a bass player) --that's more complicated, I haven't really figured that out yet. Much easier to do with just the thumb and index.

Hopefully someone who actually knows how to do this will chime in and put me straight, but this is what I've figured out so far.

Like I said, I'm just getting started --been less than a week actually---but I like it so much I'm going to toss away the flatpicks. Sure, a lot of guitarists use both, and maybe I will too one day, but fingerpicking really works for me, for the most part (For one thing, the thumbpick tends to shift about when powerchording)

This is just my opinion, but it's based on years of experience. Certainly you want to do what works for you, but I would try learning with a thumbpick and bare fingers first. Stop chewing your nails and let them grow out a little, then file and shape them so they don't hang up on the strings. I think you'll find that you are more versatile and can switch from flatpicking to fingerpicking more easily than if you are used to having those little metal crutches on your fingers. The thumbpick is a different story. Unless you're using classical technique or have a thumb shaped like Knopfler's, the thumbpick is necessary, even mandatory.

Again, just my opinion. Take it or don't.

EDIT: For several years I used a thumbpick exclusively. I would find one that was comfortable, then shape the picking surface to be more like a flatpick. That way I could use a flatpicking technique and switch to fingerpicking without having to change picks.

This is just my opinion, but it's based on years of experience. Certainly you want to do what works for you, but I would try learning with a thumbpick and bare fingers first.

I agree that would be ideal...a lot less to carry around in my pocket too. But I can't grow out my nails because I spend a large part of my day typing, and I just hate the way a fingernail feels on the keyboard...just slows me down, and I don't get paid by the hour. But if you can get by with just fingers, that's cool.

Except that... the metal picks have a sound all their own...might not be your bag of tea, but I really like it ...love that sound of scraping metal...

Oh yeah, ceve, I don't know how old you are, but the one thing I never figured out was that it's all about practice...I was too busy chasing girls, got plenty of practice there, though.

ive been fingerpicking for 9 or 10 years, and at first i tried to match up certain fingers to strings, but from i have realized there really is no rule for where each finger goes. generally your thumb covers the E,A, and D strings, but usually moves. if you are doing a bass line on those strings, use your other fingers instead. your pinky usually only picks the e and B strings. And you DO NOT have to have short fingernails or a thumbpick to do any fingerpicking. I have never used either.