Fracture In Headstock

My 33 year old Fender bass neck has a hairline fracture that runs from the e-string peg hole down towards the nut, to the edge of the neck. It's just visible, front to back, but it is so tight, I can't pry it open enough to drop in any glue of any kind, super included. Should I just count myself lucky it isn't worse or should I fix it before I refinish it?

personally if you can't get any movement out of the crack i'd just leave it alone and check it every month or so to see if it has weakened.

personally if you can't get any movement out of the crack i'd just leave it alone and check it every month or so to see if it has weakened.

Well, if I try hard enough, I can get the very top of the crack to open up a little, but not enough that I could get any glue deeper than 1mm or two. My fear is I'll spend weeks refinishing and sometime down the road it will open up or let go on me. I have thought about taking a very thin saw, like a fret saw, and opening up the crack about the width of a fret slot and gluing in a thin piece of matched maple. Once I put the amber on, I figure no one would even notice it on a 30 year old neck. At lease the new joint would hold much better over the long haul as I plan to keep the bass in my collection long term.

What do you think?