Add Wood To Strat Headstock

Hi, I'm new to this forum as a poster, but I've been lurking on this forum for years now.

You're a great resource/community here.

This is my question:

I always wanted to try a scalloped neck guitar, so I went ahead and scalloped one from a

beater strat copy. It was actually rather easy and I didn't bust any dot markers either, so I

guess I was lucky.

I really like the feel of it now, and its on its way on becoming my main guitar. But I don't like

the shape of the headstock, so I was thinking about adding maple to it and recut the outline to

look more like a CBS headstock. I'm concerned about the matching of the maple. I don't wanna paint

it in an opaque color, I want clear laquer.

Is this something that has been done before, or is it impossible to do without it looking really bad.

Any help for me and my 'Vikingcaster' is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Yes, it's even been done by large guitar companies. I have a Washburn Nuno neck that's like that. I mean the maple they used for the neck wasn't wide enough for the large "stratish" headstock, so the headstock is actually two pieces of maple. Ask around for some scrap maple and pick out a piece that best matches.

I don't mean to imply that it's easy to do, just that it *has* been done.

I would first do it on a neck that has a REALLY ugly headstock, where you've got nothing to lose. Like some of those necks on ebay, where the guy was obviously high, and had the flu, when he shaped the headstock.