Mirror Finish

I am interested in finishing a Charvel Strat copy that I bought recently. It has two humbucker pickups and a Schaller Licensed Floyd Rose bridge with locking nut. Anyhow I am going to strip off all the pain and finish and redo it in a mirror finish, just like the Ibanez JEM77BRMR or the Bad Horsie JEM (probably in a different colour than either of those two guitars). Anyhow are there any tutorials on how to do a mirror finish that works well and will last a long time. :D

Not intending to state the obvious, but the only way(that I know of) to get a long lasting, high quality mirror effect on a guitar, is to use an actual mirror cut to the shape of the guitar and attached to the top of it. Most chrome/mirror finishes on guitars that are nothing more than paint tend to deteriorate over time, from what I hear. Although a well polished, black guitar is pretty mirroresque if you ask me.

peace,

russ

I dont expect the guitar to around forever, I only paid 200 bucks for it and its a fairly solid axe, however I dont think I will be keeping it forever. I want to do something with it though, a solid ocean blue colour doesnt look great for me. I forget where I read it but there was a tutorial on how to do the mirror effect like what Ibanez does with the JEM's but I do not remember where I found it. However I recall there was a flaking technique or something like that and the reflective stuff on the body was tin foil ironed onto the body or something along those lines.

i thought the "mirror" jem used the same material for the top as well as the pickguard, i dont know how large you can buy sheets of that material but its the best way to get a mirror finish that will last, however you say your guitar is a strat style so you may have problems with the radiused edges. there is a guy here that was making a mirror jem but i cant remember who they but they were building another guitar ay the same time if that helps

i thought the "mirror" jem used the same material for the top as well as the pickguard, i dont know how large you can buy sheets of that material but its the best way to get a mirror finish that will last, however you say your guitar is a strat style so you may have problems with the radiused edges. there is a guy here that was making a mirror jem but i cant remember who they but they were building another guitar ay the same time if that helps

Charvel Strat style bodies arent rounded on the edge though, at least mine isnt. Like Ibanez RG's really. I would imagine its possible to put a thin piece of glass on it, 2 pieces though cause you have to regard the pickup cavities and bridge as well and you would essentially have to cut the whole body layout in half in order to make pickup and bridge slots, unless you can route a mirror so to speak, plus holes would have to be drilled for the pots and pickup switch.