Warped Neck, Is It A Problem?

Hi All,

Starting my first guitar and its a Strat. Using GuitarFrenzy.com along with Melvyn book and others to build this.

I bought a maple neck blank (not curly) from Stewmack. It was flat and square so I laid out the shape with a template from guitarbuildingtemplate.com and routed out for the truss rod (stewmac double acting). Then bandsawed to shape to within an 1/8" or so and used a robosand to bring to final dimensions. Everything worked great except there is now a bow in the neck. The bow is an upbow I think, with the fret board side up it sags in the middle about .090 . Should I try and plane the neck flat or use the truss rod to bring it back?

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Spike

Hi All,

Starting my first guitar and its a Strat. Using GuitarFrenzy.com along with Melvyn book and others to build this.

I bought a maple neck blank (not curly) from Stewmack. It was flat and square so I laid out the shape with a template from guitarbuildingtemplate.com and routed out for the truss rod (stewmac double acting). Then bandsawed to shape to within an 1/8" or so and used a robosand to bring to final dimensions. Everything worked great except there is now a bow in the neck. The bow is an upbow I think, with the fret board side up it sags in the middle about .090 . Should I try and plane the neck flat or use the truss rod to bring it back?

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Spike

You will want it flat. However, if the neck blank is moving probably getting used to your humidity then you should weight and sticker(be sure all surfaces get good air flow- don't place it on a flat surface) it for a bit before you make any changes to the surface. No point in fixing a bow if it is still stabalizing. I would imagine it was pretty well dried if it came from Stewmac, but your humidity may be different enough to be making it move. It is really important that you make sure it is not twisting. Bowing or a bit of cupping can be dealt with (pretty common), but twisting is not good or easy to deal with.

Out of curiosity. What is the humidity like in your shop or area right now?

Peace,Rich

Hi All,

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Spike

You will want it flat. However, if the neck blank is moving probably getting used to your humidity then you should weight and sticker(be sure all surfaces get good air flow- don't place it on a flat surface) it for a bit before you make any changes to the surface. No point in fixing a bow if it is still stabalizing. I would imagine it was pretty well dried if it came from Stewmac, but your humidity may be different enough to be making it move. It is really important that you make sure it is not twisting. Bowing or a bit of cupping can be dealt with (pretty common), but twisting is not good or easy to deal with.

Peace,Rich

THanks Rich,

I'll get it straightened by a jointer. Somehow though I have to reroute the truss rod pocket and the sides have been sawed, so now it went from any easy truss rod route to a difficult one. After I joint it the pocket will be to shallow. Not sure about the humidity but my shoop is in my basement and with the air conditioner running lately it about 72 F in the house and fairly dry. Outside today it is 95F with a heat index of 108 F.

Got any iddeas on how to route the truss rod?

Spike

Hi All,

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Spike

Peace,Rich

THanks Rich,

I'll get it straightened by a jointer. Somehow though I have to reroute the truss rod pocket and the sides have been sawed, so now it went from any easy truss rod route to a difficult one. After I joint it the pocket will be to shallow. Not sure about the humidity but my shoop is in my basement and with the air conditioner running lately it about 72 F in the house and fairly dry. Outside today it is 95F with a heat index of 108 F.

Got any iddeas on how to route the truss rod?

Spike

Hmmm... Could be the AC running a lot dropping the humidity to lower than normal? I know I just had a run of warm weather and my AC ran quite a bit, and the humidity dropped a bit. Hard to say without monitoring (may be a good idea to pick up a meter, then you could monitor for large changes). Be sure to let it settle down before you true it up. As far as the truss rod route. If it is just a small adjustment I use a little chisel I have to make small adjustments. You can get an inexpensive chisel and grind it to fit the route. Sharpen that baby up real nice and it will adjust the depth with little effort.

Peace,Rich