3-way Series(b) / Parallel (n) / Series (n) ?

Leon

hey guys, new here :D

i've got an Ibanez XV500 that i'm working on. what i've done is gutted the electronics for some new stuff. it came with one volume and a 3-way switch. i'm ordering a stacked concentric pot for vol/tone use, and i've got a new 3-way. it's the right-angled SG Custom 3 pickup switch (this one, with 6 lugs). i'd like to do either...

\ = bridge in series

| = neck in parallel

/ = neck in series

or

\ = bridge in series

| = outer neck coil

/ = neck in series

the pickups are that classic DiMarzio AN/TZ pair. i've managed to figure out some wiring schemes, but can't figure out how to do either of those middle positions. basically, i want to rock out in the series modes, and go for that 22-fret-neck neck single coil magic sound in the middle position.

i'm learning a lot, but also going crazy fast! any suggestions would be welcomed.

Can't get neck parallel in the middle, but this will give you the neck outer coil (the screw coil) in the middle with full humbucking neck or bridge on the outer switch positions.

On both pickups, wrap the black and white wire together. This will be the "series link". For the bridge pickup it won't be used, so this connection can be soldered and taped.

On both pickups, the green wire will be ground. You can wire this with the shield or bare wire to ground (back of vol control?)

On both pickups, the red wire will be the "hot"... Ok, now for the switch wiring:

1. Connect the bridge pickup hot lead to switch lug #1.

2. Connect switch lug #2 to switch lug #4.

3. Connect the neck pickup hot lead to switch lug #6.

4. Connect the neck pickup series link to switch lug #3.

The output of the switch is lug #5.

hot damn, thanks!

i see how you did the middle position, i think. since the neck red wire is on a dead connection with the switch in the middle position, it is not grounded, and there will be no movement of charge, and thus, no signal?

but, i'm curious about the function of the jumper from 2 to 4. can you elaborate?

edit:

sg-switch-good-config.jpg

Edited by Leon

• 5 weeks later...

crap, it's not working. the 3rd position of "neck series" works, but the other two don't. i'm 95% sure i've got it wired up correctly. the one thing i know i've forgotten to do was to ground the shell of the volume/tone stacked pot, so when i touch the knob it hisses at me. other than that, it's all done up right.

ideas?

Edited by Leon

• 2 months later...

I had something similar to this; dual 2 wire HBs, Les Paul control setup, two push pull pots, here were the pickup options:

PPP1: Down

PPP2: Down

Switch:

Neck PU

Bridge and Neck Parallel

Bridge PU

PPP1:Up

PPP2:Down

Switch:

Neck PU

Bridge and Neck Parallel out of Phase

Bridge PU

PPP1:Down

PPP2:Up

Switch:

Neck PU

Bridge and Neck in Serial (The motherbucker)

Nothing - Cool for solo effects

PPP1: Up

PPP2: Up

Switch

Neck PU

Bridge and Neck in Serial out of phase

Nothing

Anyway, its kinda like the Jimmy Page wiring except with a 3 pole switch, only 2 push pulls, and 2 wire HBs. I can do up some diagrams if you want them, I haven't seen this wiring used anywhere else, I made it up for myself (although it might have been invented elsewhere too).