Arched Top/back Of 335style Semihollows: Big Tonal Impact?

fyb

Sorry if the title sounds convoluted, I always seem to type them too long so they get clipped off :D

I was thinking of making a semihollow sort of in the vein of a 335, but I'm a noob and nervous about carving the top and the back :D Do you think you can get a good 335 style tone from a guitar of similar size and materials, but with a flat top and back?

Sorry if the title sounds convoluted, I always seem to type them too long so they get clipped off :D

I was thinking of making a semihollow sort of in the vein of a 335, but I'm a noob and nervous about carving the top and the back :D Do you think you can get a good 335 style tone from a guitar of similar size and materials, but with a flat top and back?

If you want it to sound like a 335 you will most likely need to try to hold as close as possible to the original design. If you are looking for something similar, but are open to making it your own....

A flat top is actually going to be more efficient. Adding a radius to a top will increase it's structural strength. All that said. A 335 is a semi-hollow electric with a center block. So acoustic efficiency is a side note (I hope that is not a bad way to put that) to the biggest part of the guitars sound. Amplifier, Pickups, strings, electronics, and so forth does not require high acoustic efficiency. I would say go with as much as you want to tackle on this build, and maybe you can try more design elements on your next project (what ever makes you happy).

Peace,Rich