I'm Very New To This...

Darkrose

I've been playing the electric guitar for two and a half years now, and will be going to university in two years time. Before I go to university, though, I have the opportunity to use my school's facilities to make an electric guitar. I don't feel I will ever get another chance to use such high quality facilities without having to pay, so I decided if I am ever going to make a guitar, now is the time to do it!

I have no experience in making guitars though, so I joined this forum to ask for your help! Please tell me what I will need to know in order to make a high quality end product. I am very worried about making mistakes that will leave me with a low quality end product.

The most definite specs of the guitar I want to make are the following:

1. Seven strings (tuned with a low B )

2. No vibrato arm

Other than that, I don't really have the knowledge to know what to get: I just play guitar at the moment.

You can ask me any questions you want in order to find out what kind of tone I want my dream guitar to have. I play melodic (very melodic, for the genre) death metal and some neoclassical metal, if that gives you some idea. I usually would play my guitar with the gain on full, the treble and bass on full, and the contour completely off. Although, I don't really know what to do for tone when I play.

The shape of the body will preferrably be based on the shape of Muhammed Suicmez's guitar (sorry, I don't know what the name is). I will post a sketch of the shape if anyone is interested in helping or advising me about the shape.

I want to make the neck myself. I think it would probably be better for me to make the neck seeing as it is a seven string guitar I would be making. If it isn't too ambishious, I would like to make the fret board myself (don't worry, I'm not tempted to risk having a fancy inlay!)

I would like to make the guitar with twenty-four frets, and to make these frets all as easy to reach as I can. Having played a GRG170DX guitar for the last six or so months, though, I am quite used to having to bend my wrist a little to reach all the way to the twenty-fourth fret. Therefore, I am willing to sacrifice ease of use if it means I will be less likely to make mistakes.

So, what I would like your help with first is choosing materials for the body and the neck. Also, will I be able to get all the help I want for free from this website?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Darkrose

First of all, welcome to PG :D

If you need any help this is the right place to ask as I think everyone is willing to give pointers and other advice. Asking questions is always better than worrying about things you're not sure about.

What you need to do first is make a plan as to what materials you want to use and what design you want (seems like you have that covered already). If you play melodic death metal I'd go with humbuckers, some EMG's for example. For good higher fret reach I'd opt for a set neck with a nicely carved heel of some sort. If you aren't confident about the fretboard you can always buy a preslotted one.

If I were you I'd look around on www.stewmac.com or another site like that and look around at bridges, tuners etc. that catch your fancy. Just be sure to plan everything in advance and look around on here at all the tutorials and such.

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you like, we're all here to learn :D .

Good luck.

Maurits

Thanks for the quick response

I've heard a lot of advice for humbuckers, so I'll read up on those. To be honest, I'd be surprised if any articles on pickups will mean much to me... Though I feel I should know what I'm talking about before just plunging into it.

I have a fairly decent idea for the shape of the body, but how do I know which wood will work well for my guitar? Is it a good idea to use the same wood for the neck?

Is making a set neck significantly difficult? So difficult it would not be worth a beginner attempting to make a set neck?

Thanks again for all help

Most melodic metal is played on humbuckers so I'd just go with those if I were you. Some pickup companies have soundclips on their websites to give you an idea of the sound they produce. So what are some bands you play?

What wood you use also depends on what finish you want. If you go for a solid finish looks of the wood aren't as important, while a natural or see-through finish might call for some great looking woods. Maple is a very common neckwood, while common bodywoods are ash, alder, mahogany and others. For the fretboard look at maple, rosewood or ebony. Look around here for some woods:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

A set neck isn't much more difficult than a bolt-on I think. Set neck just has the advantage that the heel can be shaped sleeker for better access.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Although you will get a lot of answers from this forum. You would be well advised to get a good book on building. You can get the basic knowledge of major concepts, and an idea as to methods and tools (plus have a great place to reference in the future). It is best to get your foundation that way (fewer gaps in the information). This is a good place to get clairification when you are not quite understanding a concept or method. It is also a good place to pick up on new jigs, methods, and tools that can make the tasks go smoother. Keep in mind many choices such as wood selection are subjective. In fact you will find more opinions than you will be able to take. Some construction methods have clear better choices, but most depend on personal style. Get a good foundation so you will be able to digest the opinions with perspective.

Regarding wood- You have a lot af very good options available, and sourcing these woods is very easy in the current market. You will do best to try to find local wood dealers or woodworking stores. This will allow you to buy locally and hand select your material (saves a lot of money). A simple search on the web will provide you with plenty of general descriptions of most commonly used woods.

Access to larger woodworking tools- You should try to find local cabnet shops or places that can offer one basic machining if you do not have large woodworking tools. It is handy to have those services available if you need them.

Don't buy a lot of tools until you understand how you will be building the guitar. There are a lot of good bits of info and tips in the tool section of the forum.

Look at the lists of suppliers in the supply section of the forum. There are a lot of places to buy tools and harware. Many... Such as Stew Mac offer lots of handy information. Be sure to read through the tutorials on the main Project Guitar page (lots of great information).

Don't be afraid to build what you want. Fear is all about lack of knowledge. You can practice most any task on 2x4's and inexpensive lumber to get the technique down before attacking your project wood. Make good full size drawings of your project (accurate). Drawing your project accurately will help you understand angles, dimensions, and how things will need to fit up.

I hope that helps.

Peace,Rich

I'll take a look at that link in a second.

The finish I would like will preferrably show off the grain of the wood. I would like to use a black stain on the wood in order to get a nice black colour, but this is not essential. Also, the finished body preferrably feel like a smooth laminate veneer to the touch (I've never actually achieved such a finish on a natural wood before).

However, I am flexible with this as long as the guitar ends out as good quality! Quality of the guitar is paramount.

Some bands I listen to are:

Necrophagist

Arsis

Nile

Yyrkoon

Arch Enemy

And a lot of others (don't worry, I listen to plenty more... But those are the guys I probably sound most like when I play my own stuff).

If it makes any difference, here's a quick sketch I did to show my idea for a shape. It's not really an accurate image of my thoughts, because I can't draw very well.

guitarrh3.jpg

Edit:

I just saw your post, Rich.

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be in a position where I have full access to a complete set of tools for no charge, which is what prompted me into the project.

Thanks for the suggestions about full size sketches and practicing technique on inexpensive woods.

I'll have to look for a book on guitar building, though. Do you recommend any in particular?

Edited by Darkrose

I'll take a look at that link in a second.

The finish I would like will preferrably show off the grain of the wood. I would like to use a black stain on the wood in order to get a nice black colour, but this is not essential. Also, the finished body preferrably feel like a smooth laminate veneer to the touch (I've never actually achieved such a finish on a natural wood before).

However, I am flexible with this as long as the guitar ends out as good quality! Quality of the guitar is paramount.

Some bands I listen to are:

Necrophagist

Arsis

Nile

Yyrkoon

Arch Enemy

And a lot of others (don't worry, I listen to plenty more... But those are the guys I probably sound most like when I play my own stuff).

If it makes any difference, here's a quick sketch I did to show my idea for a shape. It's not really an accurate image of my thoughts, because I can't draw very well.

guitarrh3.jpg

Edit:

I just saw your post, Rich.

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be in a position where I have full access to a complete set of tools for no charge, which is what prompted me into the project.

Thanks for the suggestions about full size sketches and practicing technique on inexpensive woods.

I'll have to look for a book on guitar building, though. Do you recommend any in particular?

Hiscock's book seems to be the top choice for most. Have a look at the book section over at Stew Mac.

Peace,Rich

The only problem I see using your schools facilities is when you go to make the neck. They are not likely to have a .023" thick backsaw or any of the tools needed for fretting. Surprisingly, no one has suggested buy Melvin Hiscock's book on guitar building yet. That book is pretty much the guitar building pre-requisit around here. And I will advise that you get it. It will pretty much expain everything in detail that you would need to know. Be fore-warned though, it will be more expensive than you think, and this will not be the only guitar you end up building. The proper tools for fretting alone will cost you somewhere around $100 or more. Plus all of your harware and the time it takes to build.

I have a maximum budget of about £500, and I know people at my school often do this for their A2 projects on a budget of less than £300. If the tools for making a fretboard cost more than buying a premade fretboard will, I'll get a premade fretboard :D

I'll try and get a hold of this book the next time I go out, then.

Thanks for all the advice so far

Hi there and welcome.

I remember when I first considered building a guitar. I havent actually done it yet because I dont have the tools I need, but I do build full size models from MDF and Plywood. Good experience as I have pointed out below. I advise you to just learn as much as you can. there is always a learning curve with anything that is worthwhile. Ask questions and take on board what the more experienced people here have to say.

You mentioned Muhammed Suicmez from Necrophagist. I found a pic of him with a guitar...

necrophagist_1.258x300.jpg

looks like a Moser/BC Rich to me, but someone here may know more. Anyone? (Metal Matt should know ! :lol )

Melvyn Hiscox book is essential reading, as are the various posts on here that detail each step of a build. you can learn a lot from other peoples efforts.

Wood is ALWAYS the hard bit for new guys (and Gals!) as are the terminology used when describing stuff (3 part laminate neck thru strings thru compund radius 27" shread machine is the technical way to say "nice guitar!") Stick to what the experts use and dont try something too advanced for your first guitar. Maple, Mahogany and Ash are good places to start because most production guitars are made from these species of wood in my expeience. Exotic woods are really the realm of the self builder and the custom guitars they make.

Id say the place to start is to sketch the guitar out in full size. Then you will have measurements to plan what woods you need. Thats where the Melvyn Hiscox book will come in because it will explain about scale lengths, how the neck and body come together, Neck tilt, etc... I dont expect you to understand all those terms yet but it never hurts to start.

After you have a full size drawing, you should make a plywood or MDF template of your chosen instrument. It will give you a lot of experience on what to look for when it comes to build the real thing, AND you will have a full scale model to use as a template on the expensive woods.

Good luck. Remember to take photos of your progress, dont rush and most importantly, learn from your mistakes, but dont be discouraged if it goes wrong. EVERYONE makes mistakes!!!!

Edited by Digideus

Wood is ALWAYS the hard bit for new guys (and Gals!) as are the terminology used when describing stuff (3 part laminate neck thru strings thru compund radius 27" shread machine is the technical way to say "nice guitar!") Stick to what the experts use and dont try something too advanced for your first guitar. Maple, Mahogany and Ash are good places to start because most production guitars are made from these species of wood in my expeience. Exotic woods are really the realm of the self builder and the custom guitars they make.

From that I take it I don't have to worry too much about the tone the wood will give? I have heard people talking about that, but I ask about woods here and no one has mentioned tone very much, and suggest that the aesthetics are more important.

If this is the case, I would just like a reasonably priced wood which has a very visible grain.

Id say the place to start is to sketch the guitar out in full size. Then you will have measurements to plan what woods you need. Thats where the Melvyn Hiscox book will come in because it will explain about scale lengths.

Consider it done. It seems I must get this book ASAP! Does Hiscocks have anything to do with the management of this site :D?

Perhaps after this you should make a plywood or MDF model of your instrument. It will give you a lot of experience on what to look for when it comes to build the real thing, AND you will have a full scale model to use as a template.

Although that's a good idea, I think it'll take up too much time and money for me to consider it. I am currently having a busy two year period with studies. I will, however, use scraps of wood to practice skills on.

Good luck. Remember to take photos, dont rush and learn from your mistakes.

As soon as I start, I'll probably "blog" it on this site.

Edit:

(3 part laminate neck thru strings thru compund radius 27" shread machine is the technical way to say "nice guitar!")

Hmmm, I think I know what a three part laminate neck would be...

I know what a string thru bridge is...

I assume compound radius means a thin neck...

27" must be to do with the neck or string length, right?

I know I will have gotten that completely wrong :D

Edited by Darkrose

I think TONE is quite subjective because tonewoods have certain tonal qualities that appeal to the individual.

Start by thinking what sound you want to achieve. Once you have that in mind, ask questions. Compare the tonal qualities of each wood to your tastes. Les Pauls are mostly mahogany with a Maple Cap. Fenders are mostly maple (ill probably get crucified for saying that), Play a few of these in guitar shops and pick out the differences in tone for yourself.

As for the 27" question, buy the book!!! Until you understand basic constants like that, youre gonna be going in blindly!

FOUND IT!!! VIGLER MARILYN

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

NECK

Neck-through body, featuring the 10/90 Systemâ„¢ (10% carbon with 90% naturally dried and aged maple wood).

FINGERBOARD

Phenowood

RADIUS OF THE FINGERBOARD

11.81in / 300mm

SCALE LENGTH

25.59 in / 650 mm

ZERO FRET

Hardened technology

FRETS

ACTION AS SUPPLIED AT

12th fret treble .0047 in / 1.2 mm

12th fret bass .0059 in / 1.5 mm

WIDTH OF NECK AT

nut 1.653 in / 42 mm

12th fret 2.00 in / 51 mm

DEPTH OF NECK AT

first fret .767 in / 19.5 mm

12th fret .900 in / 23.0 mm

STRING SPACING AT

nut 1.38 in / 35 mm

bridge 1.97 in / 50 mm

MACHINE HEADS

by Schaller

BRIDGE

Combined bridge/tailpiece

STRINGS

Vigier, Stainless Steel, 9-46 Custom-Light

BODY Naturally dried and aged alder wood (1.57 in / 40 mm thick)

FINISH Over 10 coats of varnish, 2 months drying time.

WEIGHT Approx. 6.39 lbs./2.9Kg

ELECTRONIC CAVITY Sprayed with a shielder.

PASSIVE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS

Master volume

Pickup selector

Tone Control

PICKUPS 2 DiMarzio X2N

WARRANTY 2 years

COLOR

Black

Edited by Digideus

fenders are not maple. They are Swamp Ash(50's) or Alder. the necks are usually maple.

a maple body will give a very bright tone..

for what your trying Id go with a Mahogany body, and if you want to see the grain a maple(flamed or quilted) top. that will be alittle more dificult becuase if you jack up the top its more expensive..

personaly, for you id do this:

Mahogany body, solid color

either a Quarter sawn maple or laminate neck,

rosewood or ebony(expensive) fret board. you can get a pre slotted and radiused at stew mac.

7 string bridge

locking tuners

cut your own nut

Seymour Duncan Humbuckers.. alittle $$$ but Im in love with them.

Varitone switch, 5 way switch, and a volume..

output jack.