Swamp Ash From Europe?

Lale

I dont think Id really bother with it, Id find somthing local..

I mean Im working with it right now, but I dont think it would be worth spending alot on.

I really like the figure it has and thats what I liked about it, but if I were to build another one that I was going to finish solid, or put a maple top on Id use alder, basewood for lighter stuff and Mahagony for thicker..

maybe korina becuase thats a cool thing too.

or a zebra wood top

or lacewood. with a paduka neck

OMG I HAVE TO STOP

but seriously, its not THAT light. ill let you know how it sounds later.

Edited by Desopolis

Thanks for your replies and opinions about THAT light. :D

My local wood yard has some...

...it's often still cheaper to order from the US if you can find a seller that'll ship ground, and you don't mind the waiting.

How much you have to pay in NL for a body blank?

I'm not in a hurry and might be willing to order via ground mail from the States, but at the moment I'm trying to find it from Europe. If it's going to be more expensive from Europe than USA, I will take the cheaper option, naturally. In Finland, where I live, it's not that common to bump into Swamp Ash (especially in the woods :D ) and local luthiers are a bit lazy to do something to get it. So, I'm trying to find the best options.

I could easily (and cheaply) get European/Finnish Ash, but is't quite similiar to Northern Hard Ash and I don't like it. I do love the looks of Ash and the best option soundwise would be Swamp Ash. If I'm able to get it easily enough, I will get it.

Edited by Lale

Thanks for your replies and opinions about THAT light. :D

My local wood yard has some...

...it's often still cheaper to order from the US if you can find a seller that'll ship ground, and you don't mind the waiting.

How much you have to pay in NL for a body blank?

I'm not in a hurry and might be willing to order via ground mail from the States, but at the moment I'm trying to find it from Europe. If it's going to be more expensive from Europe than USA, I will take the cheaper option, naturally. In Finland, where I live, it's not that common to bump into Swamp Ash (especially in the woods :D ) and local luthiers are a bit lazy to do something to get it. So, I'm trying to find the best options.

I could easily (and cheaply) get European/Finnish Ash, but is't quite similiar to Northern Hard Ash and I don't like it. I do love the looks of Ash and the best option soundwise would be Swamp Ash. If I'm able to get it easily enough, I will get it.

Assuming being a little picky about looks, and buying a board theoretically large enough for 3 2-piece blanks that I got 2 blanks out of, I paid about 60-70 euros (incl VAT) per blank for the ones I got. That includes having the yard thickness the board to 1.75".

haha.. so it is PRETTY light, but would you pay alot for that?

BTW my body currently, without the edges being round, the neck pocket, bridge/trem pocket, and pickup pockets weighs 5lbs.

i dont know how much Ill lose when I take all that out..

Yes some people would, personally i am not that fussed either way weight wise. I dont use swamp ash often because i dont like working with it, it dents easily and is a pain to grainfill, but i still use it when people want it and it does make a very nice tonewood compared to heavy ash. Obviously, not all swamp ash is always going to sound great.

I have ordered body blanks from stew-mac and gallery hardwoods to the UK, i had to pay all the usual taxes.

are the tax's based on the fact that you bough it, or in the declared value?

otherwise you could allways get a stateside member to recive it, then ship it to you..

dunno if it would save any.

Based on declared value, plus an import percentage on top of that, plus some fees, generally. Adds around 22-25% to the total price over here, worst case. Best case, 20%.

Mattia