Rich's First Bass Build

Hi guys,

This is a first for me. Been working as a professional guitarist for a few years now, and last year got the urge to build. With no prior woodworking experience. Eek. So, after butchering a couple of guitar bodies out of blanks (which I'm now repairing/covering goofs up, with a little experience under ye olde belt), I came out with this bass. The body is loosely based on Brian May's Red Special. Alder body w/ red oak strip, oil finish,Hipshot bridge and tuners, Bartolini pickups and preamp, and a Carvin neck that came with a paddle headstock. It's back apart now, as I have to put a logo on the headstock and fix a few scratches. It plays really well, sustains for days, and the sound is better than I'd hoped for. Questions, comments, concerns? Any and all (non-abusive) feedback welcome. Thanks for looking!

Rich

Cornerstone4.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Alan, the balance is surprisingly good. Mind you, by that I mean that it hangs pretty much level to the ground...not neck heavy at all. I tried to counteract that by getting the Hipshot Ultralite tuners, and their rather heavy bridge. Plus, I think the placement of the bridge that far back on the body helps a bit.