Pots And Capacitators

vpcnk

i plan to change the 300k pots on my gibson hawk to 500k pots.

one of the earlier posts on pots mentioned capacitators as well.

do i need to change them as well?

if so, why?

and what should i look for in terms of power/measurement etc for the capacitator.

appreciate the feedback.

No, you don't need to change the caps - unless of course you destroy them during the replacement of the pots.

Any reason why you want to change the pots? A change to the pot value WILL change the sound the pickups output, because the electrical load of the pot effects the pickup is some rather complicated ways.

The pickup itself has a fairly high impedance that is very inductive, and a resistive load accross the pickup forms a "tone" circuit in itself. Changing the resistive load will change the nature of this "tone" circuit, and will affect the sound.

Guitars come from a factory with different values of pots because they come with different types of pickups. Generally, the pot should be matched with the pickup, so check the specs of the pickup to see what is recommended.

Of course, if the pickup is active, and has a pre-amp actually built into the pickup itself, then the loading effects of the pot won't affect the pickup coil, so any value can be used.

Steve Exton.

Any reason why you want to change the pots? A change to the pot value WILL change the sound the pickups output, because the electrical load of the pot effects the pickup is some rather complicated ways.

The pickup itself has a fairly high impedance that is very inductive, and a resistive load accross the pickup forms a "tone" circuit in itself. Changing the resistive load will change the nature of this "tone" circuit, and will affect the sound.

Guitars come from a factory with different values of pots because they come with different types of pickups. Generally, the pot should be matched with the pickup, so check the specs of the pickup to see what is recommended.

Of course, if the pickup is active, and has a pre-amp actually built into the pickup itself, then the loading effects of the pot won't affect the pickup coil, so any value can be used.

Steve Exton.

i plan to change both the pickups and the pots.

i want to install seymour duncan 59 and jb.

so ...

i plan to change both the pickups and the pots.

i want to install seymour duncan 59 and jb.

so ...

Check out www.seymourduncan.com - Support - Wiring diagrams - they have many configurations with their recommended values etc - it is quite comprehensive and should give you a choice of options one of which should suit.